Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 x64 won't boot after using PYDSM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 x64 won't boot after using PYDSM

I don't know much this subject, but i think Ubuntu would benefit having a GUI to edit fstab, because auto-monting a partition is a frequent question on forums, and many users don't like CLI.
    Disk-Manager seems to work well (i never had problems with EXT partitions, and for NTFS we can modify the option easily), but this could also be a feature added to Disk-Utility (which is installed by default in Ubuntu).
    I have emailed the dev of Disk-Manager, let's see if the project is alive or not. If not, i'll have a look at the code if i have time.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    ...It's a lot easier and as you have found out a lot safer to do it this way and you don't end up cluttering fstab with a lot of useless ( user ) or absurd ( users ) mount options in fstab.

But this is just my opinion
    Many thanks for this! It has helped a lot when setting the auto-mount again after the reinstall! Only after I've done it I realized that I should have tried to rewrite the fstab of my old system using a live cd instead of reinstalling... The procedure you have described is much more effective and foolproof than using a GUI such a pysdm and in general wasn't as painful as I previously thought. Oh well, lesson learned, thanks mate!

Here's a reading of my new fstab after editing. Works like a charm!

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
    # / was on /dev/sda3 during installation
    UUID=b0563d50-8d39-494d-bf5b-7bc7d02f40c9 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # swap was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=e5a0d2f5-0ceb-4768-8a16-a766f6a92eee none            swap    sw              0       0
    /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

UUID="AC8445C7844594AC" /media/Storage_I ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0

UUID="2c501dfc-b505-4a28-adae-99d64cc98040" /media/Storage_II ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2

Beans

This is good! If you don't mind if would be great if you tagged this as Solved by going to the "Thread Tools" and selecting "Mark this thread as solved". Some folks do searches and only look at those things marked as solved.

Besides we win prizes based on how many people we actually help - um .. at least I think we do

This is good! If you don't mind if would be great if you tagged this as Solved by going to the "Thread Tools" and selecting "Mark this thread as solved". Some folks do searches and only look at those things marked as solved.

Besides we win prizes based on how many people we actually help - um .. at least I think we do
    All done mate! Thanks again and good luck winning the prize!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Because PySDM, mountmanager, disk manager, whatever else is out there left the building before the memo got out about using UUID's instead of /dev/sdxy.

I would suggest using templates instead.

***thanks and duly copied***

It's a lot easier and as you have found out a lot safer to do it this way and you don't end up cluttering fstab with a lot of useless ( user ) or absurd ( users ) mount options in fstab.
    Thanks for the easy explanation. I too had problems with pydsm (been using it since intrepid) but precise doesn't seem to like it at all. With your templates, it all works fine. I am now getting pretty good with editing fstab, since I have been playing with it for the better part of a week.
    Colin
    Registered Linux User #318277
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 25648

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12