Thread: Error after 12.04 install/update: "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount"

Beans

Error after 12.04 install/update: "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount"

Hello everyone,

A frustrated perennial newb here. After installing 12.04 on a section of my hard drive, it seemed to work. I was able to get into the OS (without the GRUB screen coming up) and I installed all the updates and the nvidia drivers.

But when I restarted it, I got a black screen with "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown lock (0, 0)

blah blah blah...

I'd write the rest but my laptop's dying. The posts I found on other sites were completely unhelpful. Like I said, I'm a beginner, so I need it explained to me, step by step.

Argh! This is frustrating. Things always seem to break when I upgrade...

Thanks for your help, in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Error after 12.04 install/update: "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mou

What is your video card? There appears to be a set of Nvidia cards which behave very badly with the 295.40 driver, which I am using.

Holding the shift key after turning on your computer, should get you a Grub menu. You can go into the command-line verson of Ubuntu and remove the driver, but I don't know the details off the top of my head. I have also read that newer, working, drivers can be installed if you have the appropriate incantations. Google is your friend.

Beans

Re: Error after 12.04 install/update: "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mou

You were on the right track, Gord. The long and the short of it is: I uninstalled the nvidia drivers and everything's working again.

I love the new features, especially Unity (It's been a long time since I've upgraded to the latest version...) I just hope it keeps on working!

Thanks for your reply!

PS Could someone remind me how to mark this thread as "Solved"? Thanks
    Last edited by Abras; May 20th, 2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: how do you mark the thread as solved?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The thread tools, or press this link http://ubuntuforums.org/solved.php?d...lved&t=1983072
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you have installed Synaptic Package Manager, you could keep an eye on "nvidia-current." If it turns into 295.49 or 295.53, you could give it another try.