Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Connection established but no internet 11.04

Beans

Re: Connection established but no internet 11.04

that all looks fairly sensible to me - obviously we could probe down into the eth0 definition file

but I'm starting to wonder if it might be a hardware or driver issue? can you try

Code:
    $ grep eth0 /var/log/dmesg

Beans

Ok, I think there is some problem in de last line:

Code:
    awadi@OptiPlex-745:~$ grep eth0 /var/log/dmesg
    [    3.690995] tg3 0000:03:00.0: eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95754) rev b002] (PCI Express) MAC address 00:1a:a0:b8:39:06
    [    3.691001] tg3 0000:03:00.0: eth0: attached PHY is 5787 (10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet) (WireSpeed[1], EEE[0])
    [    3.691006] tg3 0000:03:00.0: eth0: RXcsums[1] LinkChgREG[0] MIirq[0] ASF[0] TSOcap[1]
    [    3.691009] tg3 0000:03:00.0: eth0: dma_rwctrl[76180000] dma_mask[64-bit]
    [   17.288107] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

Beans

I just checked on this site http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/. It seems I have the correct driver.

PCI ID - Works? - Vendor - Device - Driver - Kernel
    14e4167a - Yes - Broadcom Corporation - NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express - tg3 - v2.6.25-

Beans

have you tried using a different ethernet cable? does the computer have a second LAN interface (e.g. one on the mobo and a pci one) that is somehow not being detected?

can you provide any make/model info on the modem?

you can also get driver information with

Code:
    $ ethtool -i eth0

Beans

Thanx again for all your effort.
    I didn't try another cable, however it is the same cable I'm using right now in my windows laptop so it seems to work. There is just one entry to connect the utp-cable to my computer (on the back side)
    My modem is an Ubee EMV3200. Ethtool gives back that it is not installed.

I would say that my network card is fine to as it is able to detect a connection and my computer is able to detect the network card. But maybe I'm thinking to easy now? Unfortunately I don't have one left that I could use to try.

Beans

I'm sorry we don't seem to be getting anywhere...

all I can suggest is it's a minor driver or firmware revision that's broken something? e.g.

http://blog.sat.iit.edu/2012/05/ubun...p_block-error/

Beans

Maybe I should just try to do a fresh install of 12.04 even though there is no internet on the livecd as well. I saw the driver is part of the kernel so perhaps the 11.10 kernel is somehow affecting the livecd? (I don't know whether that could be possible)

Let's hope for a miracle...

Beans

Aside from a possible driver / firmware issue, you have a somewhat non-standard configuration which is difficult to help with since I don't know why or how it was set up like that

AFAIK, the default setup using network-manager is to have an automatic 'Wired connection 1' with automatic IP configuration and automatic routes - this connection does not appear in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections because there's nothing user-configurable. It usually 'just works' (at least in a LAN based setting).

In your case your primary wired connection apparently *is* in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections - that could be for good reasons (e.g. requirements of your modem or ISP) or it could be because something went wrong

You *could* try restarting network-manager in an absolutely default config and seeing if it is smart enough to figure out the correct settings for you - either by purging and reinstalling the package (after backing up your current config files of course) or by moving the non-default system-connections file, removing your router's MAC from the no-auto-default list, and restarting network-manager. If you want a step-by-step for that post back and I will try to walk you through it.

BTW have you actually looked at the connection details (NetworkManager applet on the toolbar --> Edit Connections... select the wired connection you are trying to use and click Edit) to see if anything looks screwy?
    Last edited by steeldriver; May 24th, 2012 at 11:37 AM.

Beans

I looked several times at the connection details and as far as I can tell it looks quite normal to me. If have no idea how I got this non-standard configuration, I never conciously changed anything in it.

Perhaps I could try do the install of 12.04 first. If it is a driver/firmware problem or a problem with my configuration the new install would probably repair it and I want to go to 12.04 anyway. It's a bit more work to reinstall the programs I have now but it will clean up all the messy stuff.

Beans

Just did a fresh install of 12.04 but still no luck... Possibly there is a problem with my NIC even though it is being detected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast