Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remove ubuntu

Beans

remove ubuntu

hello, recently bought hp compaq nx-9010 sold as running xp pro[though no xp installation /recovery disk just coa sticker]. Only had ubuntu 9.04 installed,no partition, assume windows overwritten[nothing in boot menu]. Seemingly couldn't do much with it as obsolete,downloaded 12.04[now snail slow], but really want to use what I know ie windows. Question is can xp be recovered/reinstalled, which type of xp disk, and how do I remove Ubuntu.Thanks

Beans

Re: remove ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bretagne View Post
    hello, recently bought hp compaq nx-9010 sold as running xp pro[though no xp installation /recovery disk just coa sticker]. Only had ubuntu 9.04 installed,no partition, assume windows overwritten[nothing in boot menu]. Seemingly couldn't do much with it as obsolete,downloaded 12.04[now snail slow], but really want to use what I know ie windows. Question is can xp be recovered/reinstalled, which type of xp disk, and how do I remove Ubuntu.Thanks
    As you have said there are no partitions then I am affraid that when you installed 9.04 it had over written Windows XP. The only way of returning to Windows XP is by buying a copy of XP on a disk and installing it which will over right 9.04.

Alternatively, as you claim 12.04 is running s l o w (I am assuming your using Unity) you can alway try Xubuntu or Lubuntu on your machine. Both are lighter than Ubuntu. You do not need to install Xubuntu/Lubuntu just download XFCE or LXDE desktops from repos.

If you type the following command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    It will install the XFCE desktop environment
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge ubuntu-desktop
    will remove unity
    (if you want LXDE simply replace xubuntu with lubuntu above) Hope this helps.

Beans

Seconding the above post. Definitely consider Lubuntu or Xubuntu! Lubuntu has a similar layout to Windows XP, so it'd be easy to get used to. Last time I had it running, it used about 100 mb of RAM after booting. Compare that to my Ubuntu 12.04, which uses about 350mb. In other words, very fast.
    Xubuntu is also very good, just slightly heavier on resources. If you turn off compositing though, you'll find it running around 120 mb of RAM after boot. Slightly slower than Lubuntu.
    The main difference between these two is Lubuntu uses LXDE and Xubuntu uses XFCE. LXDE is much lighter than XFCE, but is a less complete desktop environment.
    Not all Linux distros are heavy on resources. It's very easy to get a fully functional, modern operating system that's lighter than anything you'll get from Microsoft or Apple.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

sorry you have been sold a pup.
    If you can get the correct XP disk (not easy as it is no longer available from stores) you can install using the COA key.
    However, XP will cease to be supported soon.
    Your choices: if you want to stick to windows is windows 7 or nothing, around £100.
    Or try the distros suggested.
    The sig between the asterisks is SO COOL that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: remove ubuntu

I'd like to try the Xfce interface, but I don't wan't to get rid of Unity. If I type the code in the first box above (and only that first box), will I be able to switch to Unity from the login screen later?
    He's watching you . . .
    WARNING: You are in the presence of a n00b. Stupid questions can and will be asked.
    "Better the pain of hard work than the pain of regret."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by HunterDX77M View Post
    I'd like to try the Xfce interface, but I don't wan't to get rid of Unity. If I type the code in the first box above (and only that first box), will I be able to switch to Unity from the login screen later?
    Yes, it only adds the Xubuntu stuff. After running purge it will still be there, look here if you later wish to switch to Pure Xubuntu http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexubuntu or here if you wish to switch to Pure Ubuntu http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/pureubuntu

Note, it might delete something you want, so review the command.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorry for any redundancy, Lisiano, but just to clarify: I can switch back and forth from Unity to XFCE without any problem, after I install XFCE?
    He's watching you . . .
    WARNING: You are in the presence of a n00b. Stupid questions can and will be asked.
    "Better the pain of hard work than the pain of regret."

Beans

You should be able to select an XFCE session from the login screen, and go back to Unity in the same way.

Beans

Sorry for any redundancy, Lisiano, but just to clarify: I can switch back and forth from Unity to XFCE without any problem, after I install XFCE?
    If you only type in the first command I quoted it will install the Xubuntu features alongside Unity. When you login you can then select which desktop to use (Ubuntu/Unity or Xubuntu/XFCE).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Before you login, look at the little gear near your username, if you click it, you can then select what session you want. For Xubuntu just click Xubuntu (Or XFCE).
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast