Thread: How to set up a windows xp virtual machine?

Hybrid View

Beans

How to set up a windows xp virtual machine?

I installed VirtualBox on ubuntu 12.04 and downloaded an xp iso and stored it in my home folder, however, when trying to set it up it said "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted."
    Please advise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to set up a windows xp virtual machine?

It is illegal to download XP and install on a vmachine but I will explain what you are doing wrong. When you start a VMachine you must tell vbox to mount the iso or a CD you in your drive. So after you start the vmachine click on devices in the global menu. Next under CD/DVD devices choose "Choose a virtual disk file..." and then select your iso and reset your vmachine. Then when you are done go back to the CD/DVD devices menu and click on the mounted iso to unmount.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTurtle View Post
    It is illegal to download XP and install on a vmachine but I will explain what you are doing wrong. When you start a VMachine you must tell vbox to mount the iso or a CD you in your drive. So after you start the vmachine click on devices in the global menu. Next under CD/DVD devices choose "Choose a virtual disk file..." and then select your iso and reset your vmachine. Then when you are done go back to the CD/DVD devices menu and click on the mounted iso to unmount.
    I have the registration key, but not a disc with the iso so i downloaded it from microsofts site.
    After creating a new vm on first run it has this wizard, under media source I selected the iso, then i clicked next and start. Is this right?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by p.wolf View Post
    I have the registration key, but not a disc with the iso so i downloaded it from microsofts site.
    After creating a new vm on first run it has this wizard, under media source I selected the iso, then i clicked next and start. Is this right?
    Yes, that's how you do it. It should now boot to the installation and install it to your VirtualBox VM file.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by p.wolf View Post
    Sounds right to me. You may have a bad .iso file.

The way I did mine, I did not mount it or anything like that. I just copied the .iso file to a folder normally accessable (such as /home) and then pointed VirtualBox to that .iso.

You may have to delete and re-create the VM on your next try.

Beans

The iso is in my home folder and I tried this several times, failed every time. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong?!

Beans