Thread: Apache - map a port to a specific directory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question Apache - map a port to a specific directory

I have a server set up (running 12.04 server) which runs SugarCRM CE, essentially for internal use at work. However I want to enable data from an external website (outside the lan) to be added to the SugarCRM database.

What I was thinking of doing is opening a port on our internet router to allow access from the external webserver to the internal server. But I obviously don't particularly want the server visible to all and sundry, consequently I want to know if it possible to redirect traffic on the open port to one specific folder within the SugarCRM installation.

i.e. www.example.com:100 goes to /var/www/sugar/folderX

Opening the port is easy enough but despite a good search on the internet I haven't managed to find a clear method to implement this in apache. What information I have found is contradictory with suggestions involving virtual hosts and reverse proxys and both stating the other option won't work.

Can anyone help to point me in the right direction please.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Apache - map a port to a specific directory

My first thought was using virtual hosts, but I don't know if that will accomplish what you want.

How is the data you want added from an external source going to get imported into SugarCRM?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro

Virtual hosts is one option I came across, but then another site said this wouldn't work.

I believe data is added to Sugar via php/soap (need to read up on this), I'm waiting to find out from the software supplier exactly how it works and I need to root around in the sugar installation to find out what is in certain folders.

Beans

Virtual hosts would definitely work. You'll need to have Apache listen on another port beside 80, then bind a virtual host to the address and port like this:

Code:
    Listen 8080
    <VirtualHost *:8080>
         ServerName backdoor.example.com
         DocumentRoot /var/www/sugar/folderX

<Directory /var/www/sugar/folderX>
              Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
              AllowOverride None
              Order allow,deny
              allow from all
         </Directory>
    </VirtualHost>
    You'll probably want some other controls over the vhost like password protection. Put these directives in a file in /etc/apache2/sites-available and create a symlink to the file in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled (or use a2ensite). Then restart apache with "sudo service apache2 restart".

Have your router forward an external port (choose one over 1023) back to the server's port 8080 or whatever port you choose for the virtual host.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; May 19th, 2012 at 04:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If the files you are trying to share in that directory are already created and the external client is just retrieving them via HTTP(S) then a virtual host could work.

If the files that the client will be accessing require active content like PHP to retrieve them then the setup may be a bit more complicated and my not work within the application you are using.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Port-based virtual hosts

SeijiSensei's example should do it for you. If you're looking for other examples, the term to look for is "port-based virtual host"

Beans
    Distro

Re: Port-based virtual hosts

Thanks everybody, I'll have a go and see what happens.