Thread: Why are there so many versions of wine in use?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Why are there so many versions of wine in use?

Hi,

Don't know if this is the right place to discuss this, but I think it won't annoy anyone here
    I wonder why the older versions of wine are not covered by the newer ones.
    Some application run only on older versions, but not on the newest release.
    Why is that?
    Vim - Comfortable text editing and coding
    vim-autoformat - a code-formatting plugin for vim supporting various languages - https://github.com/Chiel92/vim-autoformat
    Vimperator - Fast browsing using keyboard only

Beans

Re: Why are there so many versions of wine in use?

Because when you fix one thing in WINE it breaks compatibility with other windows programs. Thus not a single version of wine works with every program. So you end up having to have 2 or 3 versions some times to get your win software to function their best.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Because when you fix one thing in WINE it breaks compatibility with other windows programs. Thus not a single version of wine works with every program. So you end up having to have 2 or 3 versions some times to get your win software to function their best.
    i dont get that though do they have to break code to make way for new programs thats abit dumb to be honest and it isnt really a compatibility layer if that is being done

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by EnGorDiaz View Post
    i dont get that though do they have to break code to make way for new programs thats abit dumb to be honest and it isnt really a compatibility layer if that is being done
    Wine is mostly based on reverse engineering, Windows source isn't exactly Open, you know?

If Windows was an Open source project, a full compatibility layer would have probably been finished years ago, and it would only need maintaining and some eventual bug-fixes.
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2,8 GHz - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - 6 GB RAM Mushkin DDR3 1333 - ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: Why are there so many versions of wine in use?

Quote Originally Posted by bruno9779 View Post
    Wine is mostly based on reverse engineering, Windows source isn't exactly Open, you know?

If Windows was an Open source project, a full compatibility layer would have probably been finished years ago, and it would only need maintaining and some eventual bug-fixes.
    I see the problem. Thanks for your reply!

So if I get it right:
    developing wine = coding blindly and see if it works afterwards. And if it doesnt work, then modify the code in a smart way, such that it might work...

(pretty wearisome business )
    Last edited by Chiel92; May 18th, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
    Vim - Comfortable text editing and coding
    vim-autoformat - a code-formatting plugin for vim supporting various languages - https://github.com/Chiel92/vim-autoformat
    Vimperator - Fast browsing using keyboard only

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chiel92 View Post
    So if I get it right:
    developing wine = coding blindly and see if it works afterwards.
    Yep. When they change or add something in the code to make a different program work, sometimes that breaks a previous program from working like it should or at all.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Lots of windows software doesn't even work in the same ways between different versions of windows and other bits of windows have insane special cases to maintain support for the way some legacy apps abuse their API. I think there's a famous case of on API pretending to let an Adobe app patch core OS stuff at runtime just so it would keep working on newer versions of Windows.

Beans

Even windows itself often loses backwards compatibility between versions. I had a friend that had lots of trouble trying to play old DOS games using winXP until I showed him DOSbox works. I have another friend that had more issues playing starcraft(1) on win7 then I did with wine. Now you take wine into the mix which is reverse engineered without the original source code, updates much more often, it's no surprise different versions work better with various programs. It's one thing I like about playonlinux, it really helps to compartmentalize all the various versions of wine. It's kind of a waste of space but HDD's are cheap these days and it's better then the headache of a wine update breaking a program that was working right and took forever to configure in the first place.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by donkyhotay View Post
    Even windows itself often loses backwards compatibility between versions. I had a friend that had lots of trouble trying to play old DOS games using winXP until I showed him DOSbox works. I have another friend that had more issues playing starcraft(1) on win7 then I did with wine. Now you take wine into the mix which is reverse engineered without the original source code, updates much more often, it's no surprise different versions work better with various programs. It's one thing I like about playonlinux, it really helps to compartmentalize all the various versions of wine. It's kind of a waste of space but HDD's are cheap these days and it's better then the headache of a wine update breaking a program that was working right and took forever to configure in the first place.
    Playonlinux is the way to go for sure.