Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a new website please HELP ME!

Beans

Talking Got a new website please HELP ME!

So I just started a website and its pretty basic... I have the time and the desire to create it by myself. I was wondering if there is any software that I can use to enhance my website. For example I wanna be able to post videos and media for my customers to download. Any help would be awesome. Love you guys!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Got a new website please HELP ME!

You can post videos and media directly using html. As for software, you can use one of the online designers, but they're a bit rubbish IMHO and quite expensive too.

I would suggest reading the http://w3schools.com site, then making your own site with a text editor. Geany's good for the web, as it Bluefish. If you mean libraries to use to enhance your webiste, then there's php libraries for practically everything, and I'm becoming quite a fan of jquery for javascript.

Have fun!

Beans

Thank you so so much... Whats the name of some of the software?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For HTML you can use Geeny, Scribes or BlueFish. I'm a web guy and I personally use Scribes and BlueFish. But if you want to do content management then I like to suggest a CMS environment like wordpress or joomla.

Wordpress is actually build for blogging but we can turn it to be a CMS environment it's very easy to learn and very beginner friendly.

Joomla on the other hand is machine cut as a CMS but one needs to be having a better understanding of the HTML environment and it's workings.
    Make Google your friend
    Please Mark threads as solved when they have been answered

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

another good CMS, but maybe medium difficult is Drupal.

would second wordpress as it is full of extensions that make it easy to do thing you need with a few clicks.

if oyu plan on having webstore there are plenty tools for that too. Such as opencart and zencart...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Got a new website please HELP ME!

It might be worth asking: are you hosting this website yourself on your own server, or are you using a commercial hosting site? If it's a commercial hosting site, you'll need to see what tools they provide for you (beyond page editors) and if they actually allow the type of activity you want to do. I don't know if they still do, but some hosting sites used to have free or extremely low cost hosting packages but they normally didn't include the ability to do much beyond just basic html.

It might make a difference if we know who is hosting the site.

Dave

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

oh yes. not to mention that good hosts provide easy to use install tools where you would install wordpress and the like with 2 or 3 clicks on icons.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Yes I have wordpress already and have been working with it... Maybe I overlooked it but I cant find out how to get the content from worpress to the website. Sorry if this sounds completely remedial but that's just what level I'm on You guys have been such a huge help. This is the message i keep getting. I dont know hoe to fix it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Hi, i checked the domain name, http://jesuslecture.com/ ,
    Is that your site, if not, the reason you get this message is that it's already in use by others...

Try another domain name perhaps?

Beans

Yes... It's in use by me! LOL!!!! I tried to point it there once but never had any luck. I own the domain name, could someone else own the same? I don't think so, right? Unless they own that particular name on wordpress????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast