Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RTL8188CE Bad Connection, Intermittent Drops, Installed RTL Drivers?

Beans

RTL8188CE Bad Connection, Intermittent Drops, Installed RTL Drivers?

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on an HP Pavilion DV6.

I am having several wireless issues, which I think stem around my system not using the correct driver. At the same time, I'm not sure if the system is using the manually compiled Realtek drivers.

The issue is that the connection, although showing still connected, stops functioning altogether for several seconds (upwards of a minute). It eventually will start working again, but as far as I can tell the connection never actually dropped.

I am using the downloaded drivers for the 8188CE from the Realtek website using the "sudo su/make/make install/reboot" method, which works without any hiccups, however I cannot be sure if it's using the correct driver because lsmod shows it's using the 8192CE drivers (which came install on the system and worked, although it had the same issues).

Furthermore, if I try to use the installer that came with the Realtek drivers using:
    Code:
    ./compat/script/compat-install.sh
    It errors out saying that it cannot find a specified file (I can't recall what the actual filename is, but when looking at the directory structure the file does indeed exist, considering it is one of the files newly compiled. I can't for the life of me figure out why it's stopping).

Anyone have any thoughts? This is starting to drive me nuts!

lscpic -v
    Code:
    0d:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)
    	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 1629
    	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    	I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
    	Memory at c4500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    	Capabilities: <access denied>
    	Kernel driver in use: rtl8192ce
    	Kernel modules: rtl8192ce
    iwconfig
    Code:
    lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"WCC-Public"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: 00:0B:86:AC:8A:90   
              Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=70/70  Signal level=-36 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:10   Missed beacon:0

eth0      no wireless extensions.
    lshw
    Code:
     *-network
                    description: Wireless interface
                    product: RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
                    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
                    physical id: 0
                    bus info: pci@0000:0d:00.0
                    logical name: wlan0
                    version: 01
                    serial: 20:10:7a:33:fe:4e
                    width: 64 bits
                    clock: 33MHz
                    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
                    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8192ce driverversion=3.2.0-24-generic firmware=N/A ip=10.4.243.218 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
                    resources: irq:17 ioport:3000(size=256) memory:c4500000-c4503fff
    lsmod
    Code:
    mac80211              506816  2 rtl8192ce,rtlwifi

Beans

Re: RTL8188CE Bad Connection, Intermittent Drops, Installed RTL Drivers?

Have you tried running "Additional Drivers"?

Beans

Hey, thanks for the response.

I just ran it again in case I missed something, and the only drivers listed using the Additional Drivers utility are for my GPU.

Beans

/bump still trying to figure this out!

Beans

I have the same damn problem! I have been grappling with it for about a year. I have a ASUS notebook and for me the problem spans over all the recent ubuntu distros, from lucid onwards.

I'm planning to try another distros and see if they have a better support (on second thoughts will that work?, but its worth a try) for the realtek card.
    If I have the belief that I can do it,
    I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it,
    even if I may not have it at the beginning.
    ~M.K. Gandhi

Beans

Same problem. Try manually compiling the driver using the instructions in the readme file that is included in the directory. I have been trying to find a solution for this problem for a month, and still have found nothing that works!

Beans

I still haven't found a resolution yet. I've also noticed that sometimes it has trouble negotiating a connection at about 40-50% signal strength. When I reboot into windows it connects just fine and says the strength is about 70%. I know those numbers don't really mean anything beyond the fact that there is a fairly strong signal. Really irritating.

Beans

I am also facing with the same problem . I wrote to ASUS. :
    [Product Information]
    *Product Type : Wireless
    *Product Model : PCE-N15
    *Product S/N : B8IEN1003176
    Place of Purchase : eBay
    *Date of Purchase : 2012/5/18

*Operating System : Linux

[Problem Description]
    The operaing sysem is Ubuntu 12.04. The driver is already is in the kernel. Any how I
    have installed the latest driver from ASUS. The adopter is for earlier driver as per y and it is very slow.
    your instructions.
    Wireless breaks frequenty and it is very slow.

Their reply is:
    Dear Valued Customer,
    Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

The support OS of PCE-N15 is Windows 7 32bit/64bit, Windows Vista 32bit/64bit, Windows XP 32bit/64bit and Linux Kernel 2.6 (Support Ubuntu only).

There are three possible reasons of Bad link quality or bad signal strength:

- Interference by other electronic devices that using 2.4 GHz radio frequency
    - Wireless signal is blocked by thick wall, metal door, ceiling and other obstacles
    - Exceed the effective coverage range of wireless router and access point (AP)

Please also keep the environment around the wlan clients and the router away from microwave ovens and large metal objects(such as microwaves, cordless phones, refrigerators, etc. If you live in an area that is highly saturated with wireless routers you may have to hard set your wireless channel. I recommend channel 1,6,11.

I suggest you also cross test the card on other PCI-E slot or another PC.

In fact I have dual boot systems with windows7 . I have no issue with windows 7

Beans

I have had this problem with my gigabyte s1081 tablet that also uses the RTL8188CE for WiFi.

Seeing as nobody has tried to replace the firmware files in /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/ so far, I thought I would give it a try. For me replacing rtl8192cfw.bin with rtl8192cfwU_B.bin from the realtek homepage worked with Ubuntu 12.04 as well as Fedora 17. I, however, am not sure if selecting the wrong firmware file can damage your hardware. So if you do this it is at your own risk.

That aside, here is how I did it.
    First you have to find out which firmware file is being used by the driver supplied with the kernel.

Code:
    dmesg | grep rtl8192
    this will give you a line similar to this.

Code:
    [    8.143578] rtl8192ce: Using firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192cfw.bin
    This reveals which firmware file is being used by the driver (rtl8192cfw.bin).

Now to get all the firmware files. From the realtek page downloaded the rtl8188ce archive. Here is the link
    If that does not work go to realtek.com/downloads and click through "Communications Network ICs > Wireless LAN ICs > WLAN NIC > IEEE 802.11 b/g/n > Software"

When you have the file, extract it and get to the firmware folder as follows

Code:
    tar xfv 92ce_se_de_linux_mac80211_0005.1230.2011.tar.gz
    cd ./92ce_se_de_linux_mac80211_0005.1230.2011/firmware/rtlwifi
    Then backup the original firmware file incase you need it again later

Code:
    sudo mv /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8192cfw.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8192cfw.bin.bak
    and then try your way through one firmware file after the other. For me this worked

Code:
    sudo cp rtl8192cfwU_B.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8192cfw.bin
    As I said before, I don't know if this can harm your hardware in any way. So this is at your own risk. But I think it should be fairly safe, seeing as these are only variants of the same chip.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1i1g View Post
    I have had this problem with my gigabyte s1081 tablet that also uses the RTL8188CE for WiFi.

Seeing as nobody has tried to replace the firmware files in /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/ so far, I thought I would give it a try. For me replacing rtl8192cfw.bin with rtl8192cfwU_B.bin from the realtek homepage worked with Ubuntu 12.04 as well as Fedora 17. I, however, am not sure if selecting the wrong firmware file can damage your hardware. So if you do this it is at your own risk.
    I am using the U_G firmware atm, and we'll see how it works. If there are still issues i'll try the other firmware as well and report back.

Thanks for the tip!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast