Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem with monitor

Beans

Re: Ubuntu (and others) hate my monitor

Hi doobydave.
    I have tried both nouveau & the recommended drivers. (although I have now removed nouveau from my machine). I am not worried about the removal because since its a fresh install I can reinstall ubuntu if something goes horribly wrong. Just trying to see if I can get the refresh rate and resolution sorted out for now.

The appropriate refesh rates and resolutions do not appear for my display in system settings if I am understanding the second part of your question correctly.

I am at the same stage as this user http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1980033 with the same problem and I have tried all of the remedies listed in this thread except installing the older version because It did not work for him. He finally gave up.

if there is anything that is not mentioned in this thread or the one that I have posted that I should be trying please let me know.

Beans

Sorry, I guess I was asking the same question in two ways.

I'm struggling to generate a new xorg.conf. In order to run Xorg -configure, one needs to stop the GUI. Took me a while to realise it's called lightdm..
    Trouble is, the machine hangs when stopping the desktop manager. Just like it does on logout. Just like it does if I try to switch to a terminal with the ctrl-alt-f1/6 combos.

Booting into recovery mode did the trick, but I get errors running Xorg -configure. I would post them only I didn't take a photo..
    - A pessimist is in fact an optimist with more experience...

Beans

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu (and others) hate my monitor

Code:
    Log of Xorg -configure 
    Sat May 19 00:07:34 2012

X.Org X Server 1.11.3
    Release Date: 2011-12-16
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.42-23-generic i686 Ubuntu
    Current Operating System: Linux doobz-1204 3.2.0-24-generic-pae #37-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 25 10:47:59 UTC 2012 i686
    Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-24-generic-pae root=UUID=e57566a6-35f9-48d4-854b-68e581f05406 ro recovery nomodeset
    Build Date: 20 April 2012  05:12:21AM
    xorg-server 2:1.11.4-0ubuntu10.1 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support) 
    Current version of pixman: 0.24.4
    	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    	to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat May 19 00:07:34 2012
    List of video drivers:
    	ati
    	sisusb
    	openchrome
    	s3
    	mach64
    	savage
    	sis
    	trident
    	siliconmotion
    	vmware
    	mga
    	intel
    	neomagic
    	geode
    	qxl
    	r128
    	radeon
    	cirrus
    	ztv
    	tdfx
    	nouveau
    	fbdev
    	vesa
    (++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
    (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
    (EE) [drm] No DRICreatePCIBusID symbol
    (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
    Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
      Configuration failed.
     ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
    Server terminated with error (2). Closing log file.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

VBE/DDC service about to be called
    Report DDC capabilities

Performing real mode VBE call
    Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x0 cx=0x0
    Function supported
    Call successful

Monitor and video card combination does not support DDC1 transfers
    Monitor and video card combination does not support DDC2 transfers

0 seconds per 128 byte EDID block transfer
    Screen is not blanked during DDC transfer

Reading next EDID block

VBE/DDC service about to be called
    Read EDID

Performing real mode VBE call
    Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x1 cx=0x0
    Function supported
    Call failed

The EDID data should not be trusted as the VBE call failed
    Error: output block unchanged
    parse-edid: IO error reading EDID
    You do have an edid problem. The EDID information logged in your Xorg.0.log is invalid. Because you cannot get DCC1/2 transfers from the monitor to your card, you are not getting the correct timings information.

Quote Originally Posted by doobydave View Post
    As for trying the proprietary drivers, is that not what Ubuntu is doing without the 'nomodeset' flag?
    No. The nomodeset switch turns off kernel mode setting and switches resolution in user mode. Kernel/user mode setting can happen with both the open source and proprietary drivers.

There appears to be a lot of EDID related problems surfacing recently - I imagine many people aren't sure why their machines don't work with recent linux distros. It's by no means limited to Ubuntu.

I am looking at trying to get the correct EDID from my windows install and creating a xorg.conf (or whatever needs to be done to get the nouveau driver to drive the display properly).

/shameless triple-posting bump
    Try using Phoenix EDID Designer to get the EDID information under windows XP.

http://downloads.yahoo.com/software/...esigner-s21726

I suspect you will have the same problem in windows that you are having in Linux though.

Quote Originally Posted by scottsdale View Post
    I have the same set up here. Right down to the monitor type and using a converter connector. Only difference is I have an 8600GT. Runing fresh install 12.04 LTS.

I downloaded my driver from nvidia but that would not work.

So then I used PPA in terminal and got the new drivers but then my nvidia x server settings claimed that I needed to configure my settings and restart. I followed many guides for this part of the process to no avail.

I have searched the net for many hours without coming up with a solid solution. Everyone that has this problem reaches this dead end and ends up choosing to switch back to nouveau. I would really like for the drivers to work so I can use dual screen properly and my eyes don't burn out from 60hz !

If anyone has further information or would like me to run a command to get my settings please let me know. I know my newbie style post is not incredibly helpful so please tell me what you need.

Thanks so much!
    The nVidia drivers will not make a difference here. The EDID information is the problem.

Sorry, I guess I was asking the same question in two ways.

I'm struggling to generate a new xorg.conf. In order to run Xorg -configure, one needs to stop the GUI. Took me a while to realise it's called lightdm..
    Trouble is, the machine hangs when stopping the desktop manager. Just like it does on logout. Just like it does if I try to switch to a terminal with the ctrl-alt-f1/6 combos.

Booting into recovery mode did the trick, but I get errors running Xorg -configure. I would post them only I didn't take a photo..
    You can manually create you own xorg.conf file. Try to get the edid information first from Windows then we can look at creating a xorg.conf file for you.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; May 19th, 2012 at 12:57 AM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Thanks for popping back.

I have obtained the edid info from windows using the phoenix app. It gave a warning about some version incompatibility, and that the edid info would/could be altered slightly in the translation. I have exported this as a *.raw file.

I called it a night though after Xorg -configure refused to play.

Beans

Right. I'm back, and I'm not giving up until -

a) I have a functional workaround
    b) This issue is acknowledged as a bug, and someone in the know is attempting to fix it.

Regarding b), is there now a reason why I cannot reference the buggy EDID software in my bug report on launchpad?

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Have you considered using a specific mode line in your xorg.conf file ?

From here

http://tweakers.mobi/nieuws/7516

it looks like your monitor can handle "1600X1280 at 85Hz"

Code:
    matthew@matthew-Aspire-7540 ~ % cvt 1600 1280 85     
    # 1600x1280 84.99 Hz (CVT 2.05M4) hsync: 114.39 kHz; pclk: 250.75 MHz
    Modeline "1600x1280_85.00"  250.75  1600 1728 1896 2192  1280 1283 1290 1346 -hsync +vsync
    matthew@matthew-Aspire-7540 ~ %
    Kind regards

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

That's strange. I've never seen that resolution before. I have just double checked the available resolutions in XP and the closest one is 1600x1200.

I need to look into (or be helped) creating an appropriate xorg.conf. I'm not sure what goes in which section or if it is even used anymore. It appears that the separate sections have been replace by individual files in xorg.conf.d.

And I'm unsure about drivers. Ultimately, I imagine I will want the proprietary nvidia driver, but I am loathe to install it just now and call it a solution. Ubuntu (and others) should be able to drive this hardware at basic setiings without proprietary drivers.

Is Ubuntu trying first with nouveau and, when failing, attempting to use VESA?

Up until recently, I have been using Sabayon with the proprietary nvidia drivers, but that has become unusable. I was thinking of copying the xorg.conf from that install, but perhaps thats not such a good idea.

Tbh, I'm a little out of my depth here. My instinct is that someone cleverer than me needs to work out why windows can get the EDID, yet the software that all major linux distos have adopted to do the job, can't.

Beans

I cannot believe how many people experiencing similar problems over many distros. Most are 'solved' by using different hardware, giving up, or in the case of the proprietary driver you can force an EDID obtained elsewhere. Maybe some put up with vesa, no KMS and a tweeked xorg.conf.

Try googling
    ' EDID "no screens found" ' or
    ' "xorg -configure" "DRICreatePCIBusID" '

Single quotes mine, double quotes google's.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

That's strange. I've never seen that resolution before. I have just double checked the available resolutions in XP and the closest one is 1600x1200.
    Yes it is an unusual resolution. I only mentioned it because it was in the link. Your monitor - video card combination is not one i have used.

I need to look into (or be helped) creating an appropriate xorg.conf. I'm not sure what goes in which section or if it is even used anymore. It appears that the separate sections have been replace by individual files in xorg.conf.d.
    Nowadays, kernel mode setting is used to set the video resolution from the EDID information retrieved from the monitor.

This helps, amongst other things, to reduce flickering when changing resolution and allows a framebuffer to run at native resolution before X starts.

This is all fine and dandy as long the EDID information is retrieved from the monitor.

If it is not, you run into the problems you have.

If you create a xorg.conf file it should override these settings, allowing you to specify you own resolutions, mode lines and timings.

You can do this for propriety and open source drivers.

And I'm unsure about drivers. Ultimately, I imagine I will want the proprietary nvidia driver, but I am loathe to install it just now and call it a solution. Ubuntu (and others) should be able to drive this hardware at basic setiings without proprietary drivers.
    I am not sure about this but it may be due to the DVI to VGA connector you are using. That would need research to confirm or deny this though.

Is Ubuntu trying first with nouveau and, when failing, attempting to use VESA?

Up until recently, I have been using Sabayon with the proprietary nvidia drivers, but that has become unusable. I was thinking of copying the xorg.conf from that install, but perhaps thats not such a good idea.

Tbh, I'm a little out of my depth here. My instinct is that someone cleverer than me needs to work out why windows can get the EDID, yet the software that all major linux distos have adopted to do the job, can't.
    The xorg.conf file should be standard. Try copying across. You can always boot into recovery mode and delete it. When you reboot you should be back to where you are now.

There is something i want to check though. Can you post the output of

Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    Kind regards

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast