Thread: Hybryde Linux - multiple desktop environments Ubuntu-based distro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hybryde Linux - multiple desktop environments Ubuntu-based distro.

This is not intended to spark debate but to mention an interesting alternative (or rather several alternatives) to Unity all on one 12.04 based live DVD.

If you're not keen on Ubuntu with Unity desktop environment, you may like to try this live DVD based on 12.04 but with a big difference ...

From Distrowatch “Hybryde Linux is an Ubuntu-based distribution for the desktop. Its most unusual feature is an option to switch rapidly between multiple desktop environments and window manager without logging out - the list includes Enlightenment 17, GNOME 3 (GNOME Shell and GNOME 3 "Fallback" mode), KDE, LXDE, Openbox, Unity, Xfce and FVWM. This is achieved via a highly customisable Hy-menu, which also allows launching applications and configuring the system. All open applications are carried to any of the available desktops. The system offers an interesting way to work fluidly in a multi-desktop environment.”
    Home page: http://www.hybryde.org/

I downloaded from the link at Distowatch here http://distrowatch.com/
    then I booted in to the live DVD and was very impressed with the ease of switching desktop environments without re-booting.

May be of interest?

Richard.
    Last edited by coffeecat; May 16th, 2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Title

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Hybryde Linux - multiple desktop environments Ubuntu-based distro.

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

@Megaptera - I've changed the title because an easily switchable DE OS would probably be of just as much interest to many who do like Unity and those who don't. Interesting find.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. Unsolicited PMs about your account will be ignored. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Probably won't use it personally. But it is nice to see there are more options out there for the desktop environments. nice find!

K.m

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

@Megaptera - I've changed the title because an easily switchable DE OS would probably be of just as much interest to many who do like Unity and those who don't. Interesting find.
    Thanks for that, I wasn't quite sure how to title it or which forum was most suitable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kabukiM0n0 View Post
    ... nice find! ... K.m
    Thanks, you're welcome!