Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installing games

Beans

Angry installing games

thanks for the acceptance, but i need somebody to give me a step by step move to install games for i am now installing ubuntu in all of my computers at my icafe, please send me all what i need to do to run these games using ubuntu os, games such as DOTA, Special Force Point Blank, Cross Fire, Idate, SF Singapore, COunter Strike and some other online games that is quite in nowadays thank you and i do wholeheartedly appreciate all the efforts you are about to share to me. for a lot of icafe just shows up, more are illegaly operates with full protection from the local politicians and local authorities too, i can't afford such very expensive o s that uses such a lot of time and spending as i may say, thank you and more power for your reply<snip>
    Last edited by cariboo; May 17th, 2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: removed email address for safety

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: installing games

sanfiel, i see you've had a few views, but no-ones posted as yet, so i thought i'd better jump in and give you the bad news.

Sadly, there aren't many games for Windows that will work with Ubuntu. There is a windows emulation program called Wine that you can use in Ubuntu to simulate the Windows environment and run these types of games ..... but it sounds like you're wanting to use them in an Internet Cafe LAN type of environment.

I don't think Wine would be particularly easy to configure for that kind of environment. Even if you could get it working, i can't see the games running very smoothly.

If anyone else disagrees with me, or knows of other ways to get these types of Windows titles working well in Ubuntu, please do jump in and help this fella out!

Beans

Smile Re: installing games

thanks for the info on wine it really helped me with an issue, ive tried to find a few other things on here but it says i need 50 post to view the page for what to do after installing lubuntu, so if you know of any other good prog/apps all insight will be appreciated!

Beans
    Distro

You're welcome

I see what you mean about the "After installing lubuntu - Guide" thread - i can't access it either, and have over 50 posts, so i suspect it's a thread that has been locked/moved for some other reason (possibly ended up in an argument!).

Can a Mod or Admin confirm please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

DOTA and Counter strike will work perfectly on wine.

There are other Windows games that work perfectly with Wine, you may want to check at the Wine APPDB.

If the game has received a Gold or a Platinum rating in the DB, it'll work flawlessly more or less (except for a few problems here and there).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

For Information on Lubuntu go to the

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

Rodney

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Play on Linux offers the ability to play some games, as well as Wine.
    For some games, a virtual machine is a must. I recommend Oracle VM VirtualBox-free, easy to use, and works with just about every OS. I use it for games all the time. The only problem is it can get a bit laggy, but you can't give away all your memory to the VM or the host OS has nothing to work with.

Beans
    Distro

So will all these suggestions "play nice" in a LAN environment with a bunch of computers networked together for multiplayer, like the OP's Internet Cafe?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    Play on Linux offers the ability to play some games, as well as Wine.
    Good advice for games. PlayOnLinux manages Wine for you and makes it much easier to install the games that are supported. The OP should definitely check into PlayOnLinux

Quote Originally Posted by Face-Ache View Post
    So will all these suggestions "play nice" in a LAN environment with a bunch of computers networked together for multiplayer, like the OP's Internet Cafe?
    They will if the game works well with Wine. The OP needs to understand that Linux can't natively run games that were made for Windows any more than Macs can. Any games that do work are basically a hack with Wine. So we learn to appreciate the games that work well, and understand that a lot of games aren't going to work. But the games that are supported well should work with your LAN, too. It's just kind of hit and miss.

Honestly, Ubuntu is not the best choice for gaming rigs. If you want everything to work flawlessly, you pretty much need Windows. Another option is to check into free, native Linux games. There are tons of native Linux, multiplayer frag fests out there that will work perfect on a LAN. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by forrestcupp; May 17th, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast