Thread: Music Lens and VLC

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Music Lens and VLC

I have VLC set as the default application for opening both video and audio files; I've also right-clicked on a bunch of different kinds of files (including an .MP3 file). Using the video lens, when I click on a video it does indeed use VLC.

With the Music Lens, however, it uses Rhythmbox. Which I prefer not to use. Is there any way to make these files open with VLC instead?

EDIT: oh and this is Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity 2D.
    Last edited by evilsoup; May 16th, 2012 at 01:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Music Lens and VLC

System Settings (Cog in upper right corner) > Details > Default applications

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, but I already have VLC set as the default for music, and for videos. I think this is a problem with the Music lens... would this count as a bug? I would certainly expect the Music lens to respect the default application selection...

Unfortunately, this makes the Music lens borderline-unusable for me (Rhythmbox is just too heavyweight). The Video lens works perfectly fine... but then, the Video lens seems to be based off of the filesystem, whereas the Music lens appears to be based on Rhythmbox - it seems to search by metadata rather than filename/path.

So, does anyone have an idea how to fix this? To make these things open in VLC rather than Rhythmbox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

right click on the file type that is opened with music lens and under properties there is a tab called open with. you can chose the program you want that type of file to open with. down side to this is you have to do it to each different file type.
    ♫♪♫ You just keep on trying till you run out of cake ♪♫♪

Beans
    Distro

I've done that too
    If I open the files from within nautilus, they open in VLC as they should. It is only from the Music lens that I have this problem.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

When in doubt (may work) :
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/gnome/defaults.list