Thread: 12.04 Power Button

Beans

Question 12.04 Power Button

Can the power button be set to just shutdown without the menu prompting which action to take?

When I hit the power button, I just want it turned off. If I have to reboot, I'd just choose that option from the menu and not the power button menu. I have a standby button, so I just want the power button to shutdown. In the settings, only the lid closed settings are available.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: 12.04 Power Button

is this on a laptop? if it is have your checked the power settings in System tools?
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

It's only one mouse click to press shutdown. Anyway, I found these articles when I consulted the Google machine:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/66723...n-ubuntu-11-10
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/71494...e-power-button
    I'm pretty sure this will work in 12.04, although it was an answer for 11.10.
    I tried seeing if there were any articles for 12.04, but nothing turned up. The documentation pages also turned up nothing of use.

Beans

Unhappy Re: 12.04 Power Button

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    It's only one mouse click to press shutdown. Anyway, I found these articles when I consulted the Google machine:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/66723...n-ubuntu-11-10
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/71494...e-power-button
    I'm pretty sure this will work in 12.04, although it was an answer for 11.10.
    I tried seeing if there were any articles for 12.04, but nothing turned up. The documentation pages also turned up nothing of use.
    I tried both of the above. The first article had a good lead...in the dconf-editor, I had to go to 'org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/power' and then change the 'button-power' to "shutdown". No luck.

Next, I tried an alternate way using Ubuntu Tweak under 'tweaks/session control' and checked "Suppress the dialog to confirm logout, restart, and shutdown action." No luck.

Finally, I tried the second article using:

Code:
    gconftool --set /apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons/power --type string "shutdown"
    I rebooted and still no luck. I also checked and there was no /apps directory. Perhaps this is deprecated in 12.04?

So0o, 3 attempts and still no go. And you're right, it is just one click away...however, I frequently am running late and have my Windows and Mac laptops just power off (especially on plane rides).

Thanks for the links.

Anyone else have an idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you already came down to dconf-editor and still no luck, I'd say you should look outside ubuntu. Perhaps a setting in your bios regarding the behaviour of the power button (something like "send to the OS a shutdown signal" or so).
    BTW, does it work with other OSes (windows) in that machine?

Quote Originally Posted by amhainen View Post
    Anyone else have an idea?
    Perhaps a bit out of context, but under lxde (Lubuntu) there is a straightforward setting for this in the "Energy" section.
    I have it enabled, and otherwise I support your position: it's not about the extra mouse click (in fact hitting <enter> is enough when that dialog pops up), it's about my machine behaving as I want, not the opposite

JC
    What's even more important than free software? - OPEN FORMATS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JC Cheloven View Post
    If you already came down to dconf-editor and still no luck, I'd say you should look outside ubuntu. Perhaps a setting in your bios regarding the behaviour of the power button (something like "send to the OS a shutdown signal" or so).
    BTW, does it work with other OSes (windows) in that machine?

Perhaps a bit out of context, but under lxde (Lubuntu) there is a straightforward setting for this in the "Energy" section.
    I have it enabled, and otherwise I support your position: it's not about the extra mouse click (in fact hitting <enter> is enough when that dialog pops up), it's about my machine behaving as I want, not the opposite

JC
    Yep, both XP and Win7 on this machine (triple booted) work fine with the power button...I'd suspect not a bios-level issue.

And thanks for agreeing about having it the way I want! I've gotten used to the power then [Enter] sequence with 12.04. It's just that 10.04 worked fine and I love how fast Ubuntu powers off.