Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Tablets? Any owners here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Android Tablets? Any owners here?

I am curious if there are any android tablet users on here. I am looking to buy me a tablet those days and I trying to decide which is better.

The ones I been looking at are Samsung tab 10.1 and Xoom, or anything that has screen size of 9 or bigger. I don't know if there are any that are scheduled to be coming out later this year or not. But it probably will not matter that much.

I been also thinking of getting iPad before too, but my experience with iPod 4G (which I bought 2 years ago) put this idea down. It is a pain to always have to use VirtualBox to make any sort of changes or to get data from the device when needed. The only thing that is positive to me about my iPod experience, is that I can use AirPlay with XBMC on my HTPC, which is nice. But maybe there is a way to do the same on Android platform as well.

So I also interested to know how android tables work with Linux? From some of my friends who own Android phones, I been told that they can easily load their device as a drive or usb stick and perform any changes right from Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: Android Tablets? Any owners here?

I just went through this exercise. If you are Linux only I would strongly recommend away from the iPad, whilst being the king of tablets it's a pain interfacing with Linux.

I believe the pick of the Android crop is Samsung Galaxy 10.1 or the ASUS Transformer.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm running an HP Touchpad with CM9.
    That's what she said.

Beans

I compared the iPad and Galaxy tab for quite a while and despite having an iPhone and iPod already I went for the Galaxy Tab 10.1. It is lite thin and I can transfer files without being tied to software like iTunes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you want to sync or do firmware updates you may want to keep a copy of Windows on hand. Samsung Kies (sync software) doesn't play with WINE. You could try Heimdall if you want to upgrade firmware, but that's it. I believe it works with The Galaxy Tabs overall though, so at least there's something.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AllRadioisDead View Post
    I'm running an HP Touchpad with CM9.
    Me too. Was a bargain for $150 (Aus 32GB) in the HP firesale. WebOS was an absolute joke but CM9 Android 4.0.4 is great.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kenodlum View Post
    and I can transfer files without being tied to software like iTunes.
    This exact reason alone is why I could never be an iPod/iPad user. Personal opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Own a Nook Color running CM7.2. It's underpowered but much more fun than my old iPad. Use it for a lot of web reading, ebook and I have a Genesis emulator and a gazillion ROMS for wasting time. Nothing beats having access to files and keeping your "desktop" launcher from looking like nothing more than a pile of icons.

If I had money for an upgrade, I'd look out for that Asus-made 7" tablet that Google is supposed to start selling soon for $199 or $250. If you want bigger, the Asus transformers are really nice.

kindle fire is amazing

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I have an ASUS Transformer, and I love it. I've messed with iPads, and I don't think they're any better than my Transformer, other than being a little thinner. As far as I know, the original Transformer, and later incarnations, like the Prime, are the only Android tablets to have an IPS display. IPS displays are visibly better to a large degree. I compared my Transformer to one of the Samsung Galaxies, which are supposed to be the top of the line, and my screen was visibly sharper and had better colors.

So I would highly recommend a Transformer Prime, or even an original Transformer, if you want to save some money. I haven't run into anything my Transformer can't handle.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast