Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Minecraft will not work on Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Minecraft will not work on Ubuntu 12.04

I upgraded to 12.04 yesterday. I was on 11.10 and Minecraft was working fine. I upgraded, and the page to chose "Single Player" MultiPlayer" and "Texture Packs" Doesnt work. The picture shows up, but no background animation, no yellow moving text (The text changes every time I reopen but doesn’t move around) and I can't click anything. I really enjoy playing Minecraft and can't afford a computer that will actually work. I'm starting to get mad that I upgraded to 12.04 (If you know of a way to get back to 11.10, please tell me)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Minecraft will not work on Ubuntu 12.04

Sometimes Ubuntu’s 3D desktop effects has issues with Minecraft. You could try logging out of your Desktop, select Unity 2D then log back in.

And check that you did these things when installing Minecraft in Ubuntu 12.04.

Ubuntu 12.04

Download minecraft.jar from here.
    http://www.minecraft.net/download

Download the Lightweight Java Game Library or lwjgl from here
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/java...d?source=files

If you haven’t yet run Minecraft do so to automatically to create the folder .minecraft in your home folder. Note. You will get a black screen.

Open a terminal then press ctrl+alt+t all at the same time. Cut and paste the following commands into the terminal window one line at a time minus the $.
    ------------------------------------------------
    #make sure you have Openjdk-7 and all the Openjdk-7 extentions.

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get upgrade

$ sudo apt-get install ca-certificates-java icedtea-7-jre-cacao icedtea-7-jre-jamvm java-common libatk-wrapper-java libatk-wrapper-java-jni libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libgnome2-0 libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common openjdk-7-jre openjdk-7-jre-headless openjdk-7-jre-lib ttf-dejavu-extra tzdata-java
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

$ cd ~/Downloads

$ sudo chmod a+x minecraft.jar

$ java -Xmx256M -Xms256M -cp minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
    -------------------------------------------------
    Close Minecraft

In Ubuntu 12.04 you have to update lwjgl by hand due to Java 7 or Openjdk-7. You can go here or read down and use the command line.

Lightweight Java Game Library download
    lwjgl-2.8.3
    http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tu...s/Update_LWJGL

The command line.

Then open a terminal ctrl+alt+t cut and paste the following commands into the terminal window one line at a time minus the $.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #update LWJGL
    # Note. lwjgl-2.8.3.zip will change over time as updates become available. so you will have to change the names as needed.
    # 4-29-2012 the Minecraft version is 1.2.5. When version 1.2.6 comes out its likely you will have to update lwjgl by hand again. Word is, when Minecraft hits version 2.0 they will switch to Java 7 and you will not need to update lwjgl by hand any more.

# update lwjgl by replacing these 9 files

$ cd ~/Downloads

$ unzip lwjgl-2.8.3.zip

# type A for all

$ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.3/jar/jinput.jar ~/.minecraft/bin/jinput.jar
    $ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.3/jar/lwjgl_util.jar ~/.minecraft/bin/lwjgl_util.jar
    $ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.3/jar/lwjgl.jar ~/.minecraft/bin/lwjgl.jar

$ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.3/native/linux/libjinput-linux.so ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/libjinput-linux.so
    $ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.3/native/linux/libjinput-linux64.so ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/libjinput-linux64.so
    $ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.3/native/linux/liblwjgl.so ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/liblwjgl.so
    $ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.3/native/linux/liblwjgl64.so ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/liblwjgl64.so
    $ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.3/native/linux/libopenal.so ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/libopenal.so
    $ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.3/native/linux/libopenal64.so ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/libopenal64.so

# close the terminal.
    # Open a new terminal ctrl+alt+t

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #make sure everything has permission for you to run it.

$ sudo chmod -R 777 .minecraft

$ cd ~/Downloads

$ sudo chmod a+x minecraft.jar

$ java -Xmx256M -Xms256M -cp minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

Note. if you have 2GB or more ram on your mother board you may get better performance by alocating more ram to Minecraft. $ java -Xmx1048M -Xms512M -cp minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beans

you have to start minecraft and force update so it download the natives for linux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by regor210 View Post
    Sometimes Ubuntu’s 3D desktop effects has issues with Minecraft. You could try logging out of your Desktop, select Unity 2D then log back in.

And check that you did these things when installing Minecraft in Ubuntu 12.04.
    I am using Ubuntu 2D and it wont work. I was using 2D in 11.10 when it was working. Now all I want to do is go back to 11.10

Beans

The only way you're getting back to 11.10 is by completely reinstalling Ubuntu 11.10.
    You can of course still save your worlds and texture packs from "~/.minecraft/" before reinstalling.
    I think that's excessive, though. You should try using the latest stable version of Ubuntu unless you absolutely must go back.

What version of Java are you running? I.e. Openjdk or Sun/Oracle Java, 6 or 7, etc..
    Open a terminal and get the output of "java -version".

Also, what are your system specs? Most importantly, your video card and drivers. (Open source or proprietary drivers?)

FWIW, I can run Minecraft under Ubuntu 12.04 using OpenJDK 6, with nothing else changed. I think I tried Java 7 and got the "black screen", with updated LWJGL too. It varies for every computer.

Beans

No problems with minecraft on newest ubuntu installed like normal programs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I got it working by doing the following:

Install openJDK 7.

Download the Lightweight Java Game Library or lwjgl from here
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/java...3.zip/download

Extract this folder.

Replace the files inside ~/.minecraft with the ones (with the same filename) in the folder you just extracted.

Right click your minecraft.jar click run with OpenJDK 7.

Success!
    Last edited by fallenshadow; May 18th, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
    Projects - PhotoFlare Image Editor | Xwii | URT-2D | BHR
    Hardware - System 76 - Galago UltraPro

Beans

Try deleting the .minecraft folder and then running the minecraft.jar again to re-download if all else fails, it could be a bad download.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I had the same problem on Ubuntu 12.04 with OpenJDK7. I thought it was something with java (earlier I played on Sun java 6) but errors were only on 64bit in LWJGL.

So, you need download these archive (http://lwjgl.org/download.php) and unzip all files from folder "jar" inside folder ~/.minecraft/bin, also from folder "native/linux" to ~/.minecraft/natives.

After this Minecraft works perfectly.

Beans

I have tried all of theses things with none of them working. I have decided to mirror my drive and then install Ubuntu 12.04 from a live CD so it will be like new. Thanks anyways.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast