Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Minecraft will not work on Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Minecraft will not work on Ubuntu 12.04

Updated my Minecraft-installer somewhat today, so after installation an icon for starting Minecraft appear in your application-menu (or Unity Dash). And upon starting the game it reserves exactly half of your computers-memory to Minecraft.

Saw that allocateB wrote a script for installing Minecraft as well, that one seems great so idk if this one is necessary. But as I've been at it for a while since I'm trying to learn Bash, so I'll link it anyway, it's quite an easy and pure graphical few-click installation.

Download link: HERE

Download, allow to run it as an application then doubleclick it. Have fun!

Edit:

Will update script soon so you can "uninstall" Minecraft with it as well... right now to uninstall after you've installed using my installer, run this in a terminal
    Code:
    sudo rm /usr/share/applications/minecraft.desktop && rm -R ~/.minecraft
    (Heads up though.. this will wipe out everything with Minecraft, savefiles, settings...) Might add an option asking the user if he/she would like to backup the (offline-) worlds first though.. hmm
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; August 22nd, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
    This is my signature

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

So, I've finally gotten Minecraft working, but I can't install any mods. NONE. I've tried the old-school way, which of course is to directly insert the mod's .class files into minecraft.jar then deleting META-INF, and I also tried using Magic Launcher. Either way, I end up with Minecraft's infamous black screen. What am I doing wrong? I used to play it on Windows, and successfully installed mods on there. I also did it on a Mac. Both on the first try!
    CPU: AMD FX 8120 8-Core Black Edition OC'd to 4.3GHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | Graphics: Twin Radeon 7870's | Memory: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaw Series DDR3 1600

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zenlakin View Post
    I am also having problems with running minecraft under ubuntu 12.04. I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit. I have installed both open jdk 6, sun java 6 and open jdk 7 and nothing seems to work as I still just get the screen after logging in and selecting "play demo" that says "Updating Minecraft" "Done Loading" and it never goes any further. Any thoughts?
    I have the same problem. I have 32-bit though. Those lwjgl things work neither and bin-folder is empty anyway so it would be pretty odd to replace anything there. I've also tried to put entire extracted lwjgl-update to the bin-folder without any results.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by redbikemaster View Post
    So, I've finally gotten Minecraft working, but I can't install any mods. NONE. I've tried the old-school way, which of course is to directly insert the mod's .class files into minecraft.jar then deleting META-INF, and I also tried using Magic Launcher. Either way, I end up with Minecraft's infamous black screen. What am I doing wrong? I used to play it on Windows, and successfully installed mods on there. I also did it on a Mac. Both on the first try!
    Nevermind. Had Java 6 & 7 both installed.
    CPU: AMD FX 8120 8-Core Black Edition OC'd to 4.3GHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | Graphics: Twin Radeon 7870's | Memory: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaw Series DDR3 1600

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by bitcrow View Post
    I have the same problem. I have 32-bit though. Those lwjgl things work neither and bin-folder is empty anyway so it would be pretty odd to replace anything there. I've also tried to put entire extracted lwjgl-update to the bin-folder without any results.
    Have you tried the installation-script that i linked to in my previous post? I would be glad if someone could try and give feedback. As long as you follow the sort of only instruction it will deal with updating lwjgl and other stuff for you.
    This is my signature

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Would it be beneficial to switch to 64-bit for performance reasons? I'm asking because I am only running 20-40 FPS on Minecraft. This is with OptiFine installed! As you can see by my sig, my computer isn't lousy. Problem is, I'm only using 15% of my CPU, and 20% max of my RAM.

Beans

Hi,

I installed sun java 7, than had the black screen bug, so I installed lwjgl-2.8.4, now the game runs, but I can't see textures.. I'm using a Thinkpad X60s.

The problem looks like this:
    screenshot

Please share, if you have any idea to fix this issue.

AZ

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Have you tried the installation-script that i linked to in my previous post? I would be glad if someone could try and give feedback. As long as you follow the sort of only instruction it will deal with updating lwjgl and other stuff for you.
    Doesn't seem to work for me. Still stops at "Updating Minecraft Done loading".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Your .sh script works fine, from my experience (patching LWJGL) although installing Java 7 I'm not sure about, because I already have Java 7 installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I have finally gotten Minecraft to work for me! I have Java 7, I use the Magic Launcher for installing the mods, including OptiFine. I also installed the ATi Catalyst driver (fglrx). I now run at 200-300fps on average, on the rig listed in my sig.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast