Thread: Gozi Bank Heist

Beans

Gozi Bank Heist

Suggested Reading

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/01/...jan/#more-6878

Excerpt
    Investigators say Gozi also was used to inject content directly into the bank’s Web page as displayed by the victim’s browser, allowing attackers to spoof the victim’s bank balance: In such attacks, the crooks could empty an account of all available funds, and yet force the victim’s browser to display the original balance before the robbery.
    notes

when you read the article you will note the attackers used customized obfuscation so that the malware -- used to effect the fraud described above -- would evade AV software

generally malware is 'injected' into the victim's O/S. In Linux/Ubuntu that's going to be hard to do. We have our own app library and system updates require the admin password .

still there is the question of browser plug-ins . these were a real pain in a windows system. i used to run a tool called WinPatrol. This created a little guard dog called "Scotty". Scotty would bark every time somebody wanted to add a start up program -- or add to the browser . which was often . very often . and a main reason i'm running Linux today .

hopefully it is not possible for a web page to add anything to either Firefox or to Chrome -- in the Linux/Ubuntu environment . I'd like to see this discussion turn into a forum "sticky" as browser attacks are a main concern .

The Question posed here then is this: What prevents a web page from installing a "plug-in" for either Firefox or for Chrome ?

Another serious concern is what is known as "code injection" .

For code injection the attacker identified a system component -- likely a ".dll" -- that is loaded into the application's address space . the idea then is to just re-linkedit the .dll -- in memory, adding whatever functionality ios needed . and gaining the privilege level of that .dll . to prevent this the .dll should have been written as "re-enterable" (parm.lked=("RENT, ) -- so that the program can be stored in exec-only pages that are not modifyable by the app program ...

i used to run a PC Tools item on Windows called "ThreatFire". this "injection" alarm went off.... again.... rather often . some application software wouldn't run unless the injection was allowed . bad way to run a railroad .

if Firefox is loaded into the application address space I hope it is thus protected... ( isn't that what RING1 and 2 were for ?? ) .
    Last edited by mike acker; January 23rd, 2013 at 09:15 PM.