Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Apocalypse not now: Mayan relic says 2012 not end of time"

Beans
    Hidden!

"Apocalypse not now: Mayan relic says 2012 not end of time"

The discovery in a Guatemala jungle of a previously unknown version of the Mayan calendar offers humankind a ray of hope: the world is not going to end on December 21, 2012 and could most probably last for another billion years – or more.

*The ancient inscription is estimated to be the oldest Mayan almanac found so far. It dates back some 1,200 years, at least 600 years older than previous examples. In many ways, however, the new calendar corresponds with others.

The initial results of its study have been published in Science magazine by experts from Boston University. They say the calendar precisely describes solar and lunar cycles, as well as the motion of the brightest stars. Most probably it was used to conduct ceremonies and rituals, synchronized with the positions of celestial bodies.

The astronomical table was found in the ruins of an ancient Mayan city, lost in a rain forest at Xultun in northeastern Guatemala. It was preserved in good condition, inscribed on the walls of a tiny cell, measuring little more than half a meter square.

Its calculations say the Mayan 6,000-year-cycle does not end with doomsday, as cycles succeed one another for an unlimited period of time.
    The discovery means that December21, 2012 merely marks the beginning of a new calendar cycle, not an apocalypse, as was previously thought.

On one wall of the ancient astronomers’ workshop is a Moon calendar, tracking the Moon's phases for about 13 years. The adjacent wall contains figures indicating four time spans from roughly 935 to 6,700 AD.

The walls are also adorned with portraits of kings. It is for them that the priests kept their records, to give sound advice when times demanded a tough decision.

“What you have here is astronomy driven by religion,” says expert on Mayan astronomy, Anthony Aveni of Colgate University in Hamilton, New York.
    Source: http://rt.com/news/maya-calendar-gua...discovery-973/

I figured that Dec 21 2012 was only just the end of the current long count calendar cycle.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: "Apocalypse not now: Mayan relic says 2012 not end of time"

Really? You think you people who trust a stone-age culture to predict the end of the world will be swayed by evidence? You must be new to humanity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I said a while ago that if a person looked carefully at the inscriptions they will see at the bottom of the text in very small characters the words in Mayan, "Turn over and start from the beginning."

I guess I was right. Pseudo-scientists should get stronger magnifying glasses.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

hakermania is offline Τώρα ξέρεις τι γράφω εδώ!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Oh my! What a relief I was so scared

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

So Quantal Quetzal won't be the last Ubuntu ever... what a relief
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by BeRoot ReBoot View Post
    Really? You think you people who trust a stone-age culture to predict the end of the world will be swayed by evidence? You must be new to humanity.
    Well The mayans do have a strong track record, but the point is to show that the notion some people had about the end of the current long count calendar cycle somehow marked the end of the world is indeed a false notion. Those who are only looking for "evidence" to support the end of the world of course will naturally, ignore this.

Beans

What will the history channel do to fill up the 16 hours of non World War Two time slots now ?
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    What will the history channel do to fill up the 16 hours of non World War Two time slots now ?
    Maybe with some actual useful history? Not holding my breath though. There is still aliens and alien aductions though.

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast