Thread: installing Java 7

Hybrid View

Beans

installing Java 7

I've been searching the internet trying to find out how to solve this, but to no avail. So I'm hoping someone in here can point me in the right direction.

I'm currently on Mint 12, but will be moving up to Mint 13 in due time. However, I'm posting in this section because it might be relevant to whomever has this sort of problem with Ubuntu 12.04.

I currently have install sun-java6-plugin and sun-java6-re (installed by default upon installing Mint, instead of OpenJDK6).

The thing is, I would like to update to Oracle Java 7, not OpenJDK7.

The thing is, I've previously found that the OpenJDK just doesn't cut it with some of my needs. Some of the websites that I go to check to see what version of Java I'm running, and they don't recognise OpenJDK, and thus don't work, but they do with Sun/Oracle.

So until I update to Mint 13, how do I update to Oracle Java 7? I don't want the development part, just the runtime part.

Searching the web keeps yielding results for Java6 and OpenJDK, and even articles that are several years old.

I've downloading the Java7 package from www.java.com for my 64bit OS just in case.

Oh yes, I also found an article that Ubuntu 12.04 comes default with OpenJDK, and that if you want Java7 instead, you have to manually deactivate OpenJDK, then uninstall it, then remove excess files, then download the files from the Java website, install, and then activate it.

That seemed somewhat confusing as I thought it was a matter of just going to the software manager and uninstall OpenJDK. No faffing about with deactivation etc.

Well, can anyone help??
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; May 15th, 2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: added prefix
    Please don't use version names when mentioning which Ubuntu/Xubuntu etc you're referring too. Use version numbers instead. I wouldn't know what version Maverick, or Oneiric or others are.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: installing Java 7

You don't need to purge OpenJDK if you already have it. In fact, I would keep it because it is open source. You might want to remove the IcedTea plug in if you wish.

You can have as many JRE/JDKs as you want and switch between them.

See my post here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1977358

If you only want the JRE, you should install that from the Oracle website. However, unlike the this suggestion and the one above, you will have to manually install updates as Oracle makes them available.
    Last edited by QIII; May 15th, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

Beans

use free java runtime environment:

Code:
    $sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
    and for browser plugin:
    Code:
    $sudo apt-get install icedtea6-plugin
    and SDK:
    Code:
    $sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The OP said he did not want OpenJDK, but Oracle Java.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Haghiri75 View Post
    use free java runtime environment:

Code:
    $sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
    and for browser plugin:
    Code:
    $sudo apt-get install icedtea6-plugin
    and SDK:
    Code:
    $sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk
    I'm not interested in OpenJDK because it doesn't work with what I do.
    Please don't use version names when mentioning which Ubuntu/Xubuntu etc you're referring too. Use version numbers instead. I wouldn't know what version Maverick, or Oneiric or others are.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    You don't need to purge OpenJDK if you already have it. In fact, I would keep it because it is open source. You might want to remove the IcedTea plug in if you wish.

You can have as many JRE/JDKs as you want and switch between them.

See my post here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1977358

If you only want the JRE, you should install that from the Oracle website. However, unlike the this suggestion and the one above, you will have to manually install updates as Oracle makes them available.
    I don't have OpenJDK and IcedTea installed anyway, so switching between them isn't important. I'll manually install/update if I have to, I just don't know how when it comes to Java. I downloaded what Oracle provides, but it's in many files, across several folders/directories.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLinux View Post
    I don't have OpenJDK and IcedTea installed anyway, so switching between them isn't important. I'll manually install/update if I have to, I just don't know how when it comes to Java. I downloaded what Oracle provides, but it's in many files, across several folders/directories.
    As I said in the post cited, the process is done for you in three easy commands in the terminal. The creators of the two available PPAs have scripted the whole process. I know for certain the webupd8 PPA works fine, as I use it exclusively.

There is no need for you to figure out what to do with a bunch of files.

Just execute the three commands and you are done.

You will get Oracle Java, not OpenJDK.
    Last edited by QIII; May 16th, 2012 at 03:30 AM.

Beans

I read through the comments and noticed that people have been having trouble after following the instructions given on the page. I don't want that hassle.