Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: installing Java 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: installing Java 7

I have a very easy solution for you (i use it myself and it is terrific!) by the way, mint 13 does not have the Oracle Java....they are only providing the open source version from now on)...

I have a program that needs the oracle version myself and was delighted to find this mint post:
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=93052

It is a pre-packaged deb file that not only INSTALLS the latest version of Oracle Java for you (which is now version 7 by the way) but adds a ppa to your software sources...that means that when there is new version available, it will pop into your updater!....

Just copy and paste the 4 lines shown in this link, one at a time of course (let the terminal do it's thing for each one) and you will be all set...

This works in all deb based distros by the way...it is not mint specific...i use it on ubuntu 12.04...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLinux View Post
    I don't have OpenJDK and IcedTea installed anyway, so switching between them isn't important. I'll manually install/update if I have to, I just don't know how when it comes to Java. I downloaded what Oracle provides, but it's in many files, across several folders/directories.
    As I said in the post cited, the process is done for you in three easy commands in the terminal. The creators of the two available PPAs have scripted the whole process. I know for certain the webupd8 PPA works fine, as I use it exclusively.

There is no need for you to figure out what to do with a bunch of files.

Just execute the three commands and you are done.

You will get Oracle Java, not OpenJDK.
    Last edited by QIII; May 16th, 2012 at 03:30 AM.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I have a very easy solution for you (i use it myself and it is terrific!) by the way, mint 13 does not have the Oracle Java....they are only providing the open source version from now on)...

I have a program that needs the oracle version myself and was delighted to find this mint post:
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=93052

It is a pre-packaged deb file that not only INSTALLS the latest version of Oracle Java for you (which is now version 7 by the way) but adds a ppa to your software sources...that means that when there is new version available, it will pop into your updater!....

Just copy and paste the 4 lines shown in this link, one at a time of course (let the terminal do it's thing for each one) and you will be all set...

This works in all deb based distros by the way...it is not mint specific...i use it on ubuntu 12.04...
    Ack, it's a shame Mint is switching to OpenJDK instead of sticking with Oracle.

As for the rest, cheers. It would be most helpful.
    Please don't use version names when mentioning which Ubuntu/Xubuntu etc you're referring too. Use version numbers instead. I wouldn't know what version Maverick, or Oneiric or others are.

Beans

Oops, I forgot to mark this thread as closed.
    Please don't use version names when mentioning which Ubuntu/Xubuntu etc you're referring too. Use version numbers instead. I wouldn't know what version Maverick, or Oneiric or others are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12