Thread: Skype - webcam mic not wrking

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Skype - webcam mic not working

Hi

I've got a webcam with a built in microphone. The mic works fine if i record on Audacity but in Skype the mic doesn't work, although video on Skype is fine.

I've got the USB mic selected in the sound settings - see screenshot1.

In Skype > Options > Sound Devices, there is only the Pulse Audio server to select - see screenshot2.

Interestingly , I've got a netbook also with Xubuntu 11.10 and its integrated webcam & mic works fine in Skype.

Any help as always is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Da\/e
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by motorcity909; May 6th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
    AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Quad Core @ 3.6GHz, NVidia GT430, Asus M5A78L-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Western Digital Green 1TB SATA2 hard-drive

Beans
    Distro

Re: Skype - webcam mic not wrking

Further info if it will help - when I run lshub, it shows the webcam as a Microdia MSI Starcam Racer

Same (unanswered) probelm here too - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1898589

Thanks
    Da\/e
    AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Quad Core @ 3.6GHz, NVidia GT430, Asus M5A78L-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Western Digital Green 1TB SATA2 hard-drive

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Try this:
    First install Pulseaudio volume control pavucontrol then launch it.
    In the Input Devices tab select the USB camera as your primary device and mute the left channel.

Cheers!
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

WOuldnt it be better to finally integrate working fix then to make new users think about some pavucontrol

Beans
    Distro

Hi

I've installed pavucontrol and using the skype test call it successfully recorded my voice and played it back. Webcam mic is only mono so no left channel to mute.

Now waiting to do a proper test call with my son (if he can tear himself away from Minecraft for two minutes....)

Cheers
    Da\/e

Beans
    Distro

Hi again

All good! Skype call to my son's Win7 laptop - working video & sound.

It's also fixed Google Hangouts which had the same issue - no sound from mic.

So, thanks to LewisTM for the solution - and agreement with Kangaroo that this kind of things should just be there from the off.

Cheers all
    Da\/e

Beans

Unhappy Re: Skype - webcam mic not wrking

I just installed Precise Pangolin. I Previously had Oneiric Ocelot. On both systems I had no success with the built-in mic on my Logitech webcam using skype. Once again, video fine and I can hear the other person's end. I noticed that Pangolin came with pavucontrol already (I had to install it on Ocelot before). I can see input using Audacity monitor, so it's getting through somewhere! I tried on Ocelot using Mixer and un-linking channels, lowering volume on one, etc. Can you suggest anything else I might try? I don't see how I can "select the USB camera as your primary device" so maybe we could start there? I was hoping with the new release that everything would "just work" but then I wouln't soon have learned anything, would I willl have?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have a similar webcam with a similar problem. I'm not near that computer right now so from memory, try this:

1) Exit Skype
    2) Connect your webcam
    3) Go to pavucontrol/Input Devices
    4) You should see the Webcam as one of the devices
    Chances are you won't and this is the problem. So next:
    5) execute
    Code:
    pulseaudio --kill
    pulseaudio --start
    6) Look again the the Input Devices. Pulseaudio should have picked up the camera.
    7) Start skype and try again.
    EDIT
    8: While recording, you might have to go to pavucontrol/Recording and pick the Quickcam as the input for Skype.
    Last edited by LewisTM; May 16th, 2012 at 02:00 AM.
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich