Thread: random logs me out

Beans

random logs me out

Hi,

I am currently using Ubuntu 12.04 64bit.
    For some reasons, it randomly logs me out of the screen while I am on Internet or work on something with my computer. It happened about 4 to 5 times today. It happened about once or twice per day before, but now, it looks like it gives me more problems than it did before.. Could anyone helps me on this issue ? I am not sure if this relates with the driver I installed recently.. but about a week ago, I installed the latest Nvidia driver and it seems like it is the cause of issue..

Thanks

Beans

Re: random logs me out

Hi
    Did it logg you out once or twice a day even before you installed the latest Nvidia driver?
    When you are logged out, can you start a consol using "Ctrl + Alt + F2" ?

Br

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Might I ask where you got the nvidia drivers? Did you get them from the ubuntu-x-swat PPA or from the ubuntu repositories? Or did you get them somewhere else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ryantierp View Post
    Hi
    Did it logg you out once or twice a day even before you installed the latest Nvidia driver?
    When you are logged out, can you start a consol using "Ctrl + Alt + F2" ?

Br
    No. It never logged me out before I installed the Nvidia driver. Because I was just using 17 inch monitor,I didn't need to install Nvidia driver although Nvidia graphic card was already equipped in computer.. But I needed the latest driver after I connected my computer to 30 inch monitor.

Yes. I can start a console by pressing ctrl+alt+f2 from log out screen

Thank you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lisiano View Post
    Might I ask where you got the nvidia drivers? Did you get them from the ubuntu-x-swat PPA or from the ubuntu repositories? Or did you get them somewhere else?
    Hi, I got followings code from google and just ran it.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

That's the proper way to use the new nvidia drivers.
    You could try using a newer driver (The new 302.07 beta driver). Maybe there is a bug in this one for your particular card.
    For the new beta driver, refer here https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa
    I will not provide instructions on how to install it until you tell us you want to try it, note that it could become messy trying to get back to an older driver if you try the new one.

The driver might be even less stable than the current one or might be way better. It all depends on if you want to risk it.

But if you aren't that adventurous, you can boot using a LiveCD, download this file, place it somewhere you know (For example the home directory) then switch to a TTY (Ctrl+Alt+F1-F6) and type in
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    sudo sh ~/xorg-edgers-live-test
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-graphics-drivers
    sudo service lightdm start
    where the italic part is where the file is located, ~/ is a shortcut to Home.
    Last edited by Lisiano; May 16th, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I got the same problem with the 32bit version of 12.04.

I have no idea if nvidia is the cause for my problem since I only did a dist upgrade, nvidia was already installed from previous ubuntu 11.10. It's really odd.

I had no problem with it on previous ubuntu.

Beans

I am having the same problem with 12.04AMD64. More concerning is that it doesn't recognize my chipset. If I go to Settings > Details it shows Graphics Unknown. I am using the updated nvidia driver now to see if that makes a difference.