Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Every time I start my computer the first time I press enter it logs me out

Beans

Every time I start my computer the first time I press enter it logs me out

Hi! When I boot up Ubuntu (SSD) the first time I press enter (numpad or the main return) it logs me out. It doesn't matter where I press it (eg. no window, inside chrome, etc) or when. If I press it before ~15 seconds into the boot, though, my monitor stops receiving input.

Any ideas? This has puzzled me for weeks, I've been trying to get help on IRC but no one knows what's going on. I was hoping you guys could help me debug this!

I'm running 12.04, x86 64-bit
    Last edited by snapdata; May 15th, 2012 at 09:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Every time I start my computer the first time I press enter it logs me out

Does it do this on a live cd, if not then I would consider doing a reinstall, if no one has had an answer yet.

You can also create another account in users but it seems you would not get that far, hard to tell from the description.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    Does it do this on a live cd, if not then I would consider doing a reinstall, if no one has had an answer yet.

You can also create another account in users but it seems you would not get that far, hard to tell from the description.
    I've reinstalled twice. The same issue reappears after a few restarts (without installing any additional software)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by snapdata View Post
    I've reinstalled twice. The same issue reappears after a few restarts (without installing any additional software)
    Could be a faulty cd, does this happen on the cd?

Do you have any other OS's on the computer to confirm maybe a keyboard problem.

You can also check the md5sum of the cd.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Strange behavior for sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You said ~15s into boot.
    Is this before or after logging in?
    If before, than it should boot fine.
    If after, xorg/gnome/whatever crashes
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roelforg View Post
    You said ~15s into boot.
    Is this before or after logging in?
    If before, than it should boot fine.
    If after, xorg/gnome/whatever crashes
    I have auto login on.

Could be a faulty cd, does this happen on the cd?

Do you have any other OS's on the computer to confirm maybe a keyboard problem.

You can also check the md5sum of the cd.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Strange behavior for sure.
    I was dual booting Windows, but not anymore. A corrupted image is doubtful, it was 2 different CDs. I'll check the MD5sum anyway.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by snapdata View Post
    I have auto login on.

I was dual booting Windows, but not anymore. A corrupted image is doubtful, it was 2 different CDs. I'll check the MD5sum anyway.
    You might try another keyboard even if its a laptop you can plug one in. A rather unusual circumstance for sure,

Beans

You might try another keyboard even if its a laptop you can plug one in. A rather unusual circumstance for sure,
    Sadly I don't have another keyboard. One moment, I'll check with the onscreen keyboard and report back.

EDIT: Doesn't happen with the on-screen keyboard. My keyboard has custom keys and is strange, if I press the keys below space it toggles the trackpad on and off (as if I have one.)

I've tried with the trackpad setting both on and off by the way, it has no bearing on the log out issue. The keyboard's function keys work fine, I don't see how the newline input could crash xorg/gnome. Very strange indeed.

Triple edit: Just to make sure there wasn't some input weirdness going on, I threw this together:

john@snapdata:~$ cat newline.pl
    $test = <STDIN>;
    if($test =~ m/^(\n)$/)
    {
    print "\nAs expected\n";
    }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    john@snapdata:~$ perl newline.pl

As expected
    john@snapdata:~$
    Last edited by snapdata; May 16th, 2012 at 09:22 AM.

Beans

edit: It doesn't occur for one restart after installing updates through the update manager. I've observed this twice.
    Last edited by snapdata; May 17th, 2012 at 03:25 PM.

Beans

Still stuck. I can't figure this out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast