Thread: Browser games and Video card question.

Beans

Browser games and Video card question.

Does a video card make that much of a difference for an old school java based free game that is played out of a web browser? The game in question is tankpit.com. I use to play this game as a kid at bonus.com until it went away and now its been brought back to life at tankpit.com. Back when this game was new pc's where using 64mb video cards and maybe even lower.

My question really is will my Nvidia 140m, 128mb video card hinder my gaming experience with this game or do I need to update? Or another situation is my Nvidia going to show its age when i come up against an opponent that has a 1 or 2gb graphics card? I just don't know how graphics cards work with internet based games or if they really effect them at all.

Also what browser is better for gaming? I started off using chrome because it was light weight and recently I switched to firefox to give that a run. Someone told me firefox was better for gaming and that chrome crashed a lot however i haven't experienced any crashes and so far it seems like they both work the same. Firefox uses slightly less resources but its not enough to gloat about even on my old pc.

Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: Browser games and Video card question.

Hi,

Have you installed Nvidia GPU drivers? If you are using Ubuntu "Additional driver's" application can find & install them for you

Beans

Re: Browser games and Video card question.

I remember playing bonus.com games all the time whilst supposed to be "working" in the library at school as a kid, haha. And I remember tankpit! And that fighter craft flying game..

Anyways, your card should be absolutely fine for games of this caliber. The bigger issue possible would probably be Java itself, honestly. Just try it and see the results.

Also, I have used Chrome and Chromium almost since it's initial Linux release, and it has *always* been stable. I never use Firefox, so can't attest for that, but I'm sure it is stable as well.

Edit: I didn't see your other topic. Try installing those plugins as mentioned and try it again.
    Last edited by mode7; May 17th, 2012 at 12:41 PM.