Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrome puts itself on Startup Applications

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Chrome puts itself on Startup Applications

Google Chrome puts itself on my Startup Applications. Processes like "chrome-no-startup-window", "chrome-sandbox", "chrome-type-zygote", etc. keep on running on the background. If I remove Chrome from my Startup Applications, it will show back next time I start the computer. Does anyone else noticed this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Chrome puts itself on Startup Applications

It's called pre-loading. Chrome and Chromium do this so that the browser comes up very fast. If the memory used is needed by another ap it will be swapped out to disk. Restoring a swapped ap is faster than loading from the file system. There is no need to be concerned and you get improved performance.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by fragos View Post
    It's called pre-loading. Chrome and Chromium do this so that the browser comes up very fast. If the memory used is needed by another ap it will be swapped out to disk. Restoring a swapped ap is faster than loading from the file system. There is no need to be concerned and you get improved performance.
    Thanks for your feedback, but I'm not sure if I should not be concerned about this behavior that reminds me of MS viruses and other malicious software.
    Of course Chrome will come up very fast and a newbie would say that Chrome is faster than Firefox
    But Ubuntu startup will be much slower. Chrome should not be the one to decide if today I'm going to use it or any other browser.
    Moreover I've also noticed that sometimes it sucks all my bandwidth, downloading who knows what and why. And when I kill those chrome processes the download stops.
    Google is getting too big. Everybody including myself is using a lot of useful Google services. But this is not a reason for misbehaving like this.
    So for now I've just unistalled Google Chrome.
    I've heard in other forums that Chromium does not behave the same way. I may try it one of these day and see.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fragos View Post
    Do you see what the OP sees? I don't.

Just after you login and you check for the processes mentioned by OP, do you see any of them? I don't.

Even if I use Chrome and then close Chrome and check for processes, I don't see what OP sees.

Which command enables you to see these specific processes, assuming you do see them yourself? ""chrome-no-startup-window", "chrome-sandbox", "chrome-type-zygote","

I also don't see Chrome in my Startup Applications.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Do you see what the OP sees? I don't.

Just after you login and you check for the processes mentioned by OP, do you see any of them? I don't.

Even if I use Chrome and then close Chrome and check for processes, I don't see what OP sees.

Which command enables you to see these specific processes, assuming you do see them yourself? ""chrome-no-startup-window", "chrome-sandbox", "chrome-type-zygote","

I also don't see Chrome in my Startup Applications.

If I removed Chrome from my startup applications, and if I didn't start Chrome, nothing happened. But if I started Chrome and then checked my startup applications, Chrome was there again.

I saw those processes in the system monitor.

And by the way I'm using Precise with all updates.
    I can't change my profile details. If I go to "Edit your details" I get the message "you do not have permission to access this page." Does anybody know what should I do to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by bobzr View Post
    Thanks for your feedback, but I'm not sure if I should not be concerned about this behavior that reminds me of MS viruses and other malicious software.
    But Ubuntu startup will be much slower.
    Startup applications are perfectly normal. Some less recognized examples include the clock, updater, system files, and Unity (or Gnome, depending on what you're using, or any other desktop environment).
    You shouldn't worry about startup speed unless you have a low amount of RAM, such as less than 2 GB, in which case you probably have a slow boot time without any other applications starting automatically.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Google Chomre has a settings where it keeps background processes after it quits. This can be turned off by going to Wrench > Settings > Under the Bonnet > Background Apps,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by lolpenguin View Post
    Google Chomre has a settings where it keeps background processes after it quits. This can be turned off by going to Wrench > Settings > Under the Bonnet > Background Apps,
    Thanks lolpenguin ! I didn't consider this option ! I will install Chrome again, and see if I can do something in the Settings

Beans

I have that unticked.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

[SOLVED] Re: Chrome puts itself on Startup Applications

That did it, I went to 'Under the Hood' and unticked "Background Apps". Thanks again lolpenguin!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast