Thread: menu buttons missing on 12.04 unity

Beans
    Hidden!

menu buttons missing on 12.04 unity

Ok, I dont know how those buttons are called, but on the older versions of ubuntu like 11.04, in unity, there is also a gray button in the launcher and this does expand to a menu with categories etc.

Now on 12.04 this is completely missing.
    Any idea how to get it back?

Also any changes made with the compiz manager are ignored by the unity now.

Is this supposed to be so or??

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: menu buttons missing on 12.04 unity

click on dash home then look at the bottom of the screen
    the second Icon from the left brings up click that then look at the upper right and click on filters.
    the menu will come up then.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans
    Hidden!

sorry, I did not understand anything you say here.

I know I can click on the dash, this is the top button in the launcher. From there I can write first chars of the name of the program and then it will find it, or I can search all through the lot of icons there to find it finally.

But before I had a button for menu with categories.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

11.04 had a Ubuntu icon at the top left of the panel. It has now (since 11.10) moved on to the launcher but still at the top. a right click will in 12.04 bring up a menu list of sorts.

Compiz Configuration Settings Manager (CCSM) will not have any effect when in Ubuntu 2D because the Compiz compositing/window manager is only used in Ubuntu (Unity 3D). another window manager is used in 2D (Metacity).

Do you need to install a proprietary video driver in order to get the Compiz effects?

It would be very unusual for the Dash home icon to be missing from the launcher and still have a launcher. The Dash home icon is the only one that does not have a Unlock From Launcher option on the right click menu.

Edit: I have just seen your image. That icon has been removed as not necessary. You can get access to the functions of both those icons through the Dash or by pressing Super+A = Applications, Super+F = Files, Super+M = Music tracks and albums, Super+V = Video files.

Unity in 12.04 has been developed beyond what is could do in 11.04.

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; May 13th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!

>11.04 had a Ubuntu icon at the top left of the panel. It has now (since 11.10) moved on to the launcher but still at the top. a right click will in 12.04 bring up a menu list of sorts.<

aha, so the button I am looking for is gone, so it is not my fault..

>Compiz Configuration Settings Manager (CCSM) will not have any effect when in Ubuntu 2D because the Compiz compositing/window manager is only used in Ubuntu (Unity 3D). another window manager is used in 2D (Metacity).<

aha, this is what I was trying, as in 11.04 the changes were done by the CCSM and now it does not behave. I am not using the 3d as this is bad with all that transparent windows etc.
    Is there a manager for the Metacity alowing some tweaks to the 2d?

>Edit: I have just seen your image. That icon has been removed as not necessary. You can get access to the functions of both those icons through the Dash or by pressing Super+A = Applications, Super+F = Files, Super+M = Music tracks and albums, Super+V = Video files.<

understand, but this is again is one of step back apparently, lot of mouseclicks, lot of search lot of scroling until one single icon is found. Yes we have applications there, but it might be 500 of them.

Beans

If you are more comfortable with a traditional menu you can have that with 12.04: http://www.howtogeek.com/105997/how-...-ubuntu-11.10/

Note: It works with 12.04

You will end up with a small icon on the top panel that expands to something like this ( from the HowTo ):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Or you may want to check out Cinnamon desktop also. it has a menu similar to kde.

Here's how :
    http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/04/26...-ubuntu-12-04/
    Wireless script
    Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

here is a picture of what I was talking about.
    the menu is there you just have access it differently.

Wireless script
    Dave

Beans
    Hidden!

thanks, I am giving up on that, this is not worth bothering with.

Installed the classic and it is useful so far.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Re: menu buttons missing on 12.04 unity

I'm battling about the same. I recently upped to Unity. Maybe it didn't install properly or completely, whatever, but upon requested reboot it came up without either top menu or left dash or Launcher. Nothing but the window background. With some fiddling I could get some things to open, but all are without "X-resize" box and e.g Firefox in top-left position cannot be moved or closed or resized. The Settings window opens off right-click and is movable and mostly works.

so problem, no menu and no left dash/launder, and nothing shows to access Terminal.
    New Mexico, USA - "Atlas Shrugged"