Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Copy pictures from Samsung Galaxy S2 to computer?

Beans
    Hidden!

Copy pictures from Samsung Galaxy S2 to computer?

Has anyone managed to copy pictures from their Samsung Galaxy S2 to their Ubuntu 12.04 computer?

First I tried Kies Air, but I have like 500 pictures, and the "download all" just doesn't to work. I select the folder and click OK, then nothing happens, no errors, no files copied. I can download one picture at a time, but I can't be bothered!

So I dug out a USB cable, and connected it. The phone only gets detected as an audio player. I've changed the phone's settings so that it should show up as a camera, but Ubuntu always detects it as an audio player. I wouldn't care if I could just copy the pictures, but it only shows up with lots of folders named 0000000a, 0000000b, 0000000c, etc... and they're all empty. No pictures to be found.

I tried to enable USB debugging, but it doesn't even seem to work on the phone.

Finally I installed gMTP, but it just crashes when I run it as my own user, and running it under SUDO it complains that the USB device vendorid:deviceid are unknown.

Sheesh, this was difficult!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Copy pictures from Samsung Galaxy S2 to computer?

I have the same phone, all I do is plug in the phone's lead (micro usb to phone, standard usb to pc). Then I drag down the menu on the phone (the one where you turn on and off wifi etc) and hit the "usb connected" icon and then "connnect usb storage" then the phone shows as a usb device on the pc.
    HP EliteBook 745 G2 AMD A10 Pro-7350B/Radon R6 Graphics/15Gb RAM - Desktop Conversion

Beans
    Hidden!

What software version is your phone running? Mine is Android version 4.0.3, what you're describing sounds more like the version I had before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Right, I havent upgraded to icecreamsandwhich yet.

Cant see why theyd change how it interfaces with the pc though, mind you its evil google we re talking about here so anythings possible. Nothing online about changes in icecreamsandwich ? You tried googling it ?
    HP EliteBook 745 G2 AMD A10 Pro-7350B/Radon R6 Graphics/15Gb RAM - Desktop Conversion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try these instructions.

Hope it works.

Jerry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

OMG!-what a load of hassle. Trust Google, I really cant wait til the Android and Linux kernels merge and ubuntu phone comes out, then I can junk that Google rubbish and put a proper Linux OS on my phone.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, this is a lot of hassle! And those instructions don't work either, mtp-detect hangs and eventually fails. It finds the device, but then it tries to connect, and that fails. Here's what it looks like when I run with sudo:

Code:
    $ sudo mtp-detect 
    libmtp version: 1.1.3

Listing raw device(s)
    Device 0 (VID=04e8 and PID=6860) is a Samsung GT-P7310/P7510/N7000/I9100/Galaxy Tab 7.7/10.1/S2/Nexus/Note.
       Found 1 device(s):
       Samsung: GT-P7310/P7510/N7000/I9100/Galaxy Tab 7.7/10.1/S2/Nexus/Note (04e8:6860) @ bus 2, dev 17
    Attempting to connect device(s)
    PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
    LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
    LIBMTP PANIC: failed to open session on second attempt
    Unable to open raw device 0
    OK.
    So no luck there either... Thanks for the tip, though!

Beans
    Hidden!

By the way, I noticed now that I only needed that command to get VID/PID, so I continued with the instructions, but it doesn't work anyway. Now, after I run "android-connect", the phone is mounted:

Code:
    $ mount
    mtpfs on /media/GalaxyNexus type fuse.mtpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,user=ubuntu)
    $ ls -l /media/GalaxyNexus
    ls: cannot access /media/GalaxyNexus: Transport endpoint is not connected
    $
    The ls command hangs until it times out or something, perhaps 30 or 60 seconds? Listing the media folder looks like this:

Code:
    $ ls -l /media/
    ls: cannot access /media/GalaxyNexus: Transport endpoint is not connected
    total 0
    d????????? ? ? ? ?            ? GalaxyNexus
    Last edited by k999; May 13th, 2012 at 06:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Seems my remaining options are:

1) reboot to windows and use kies, or
    2) install dropbox, google drive, or something like that on the phone and copy everything via some online service, or
    3) get an ftp or scp client on the phone, and copy pictures that way.

What an utter pain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Great, maybe I wont be upgrading to icecream sandwhich then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast