Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Server 12.04, Samba shares and windows 7

Beans

Ubuntu Server 12.04, Samba shares and windows 7

Hi All,

I have a Windows 7 (64 bit) development machine, on which I set up a new Ubuntu 12.04 Server (32-bit) installation in a VirtualBox VM & included LAMP, SSH & Samba in the installation. When complete I configured Samba and shared the /var/www folder for read/write access. However I could not access the Ubuntu 12 server from my windows 7 PC, but I had full read/write access from a Windows XP system on the same network.

I searched the internet for a solution, but couldn't find anything conclusive, however I did find some posts where others had similar problems, and one reference which said that the version of Samba in 12.04 was different than in earlier Ubuntu releases.

I was getting nowhere with 12.04, so I set up another VM and installed Ubuntu Server 11.10, this time from a pre-built VB image and configured it the same way as the previous 12.04 server. Same user, same passwords, same shares, same everything as far as possibel, and it works swimmingly. I have full R/W access from both Windows 7 and Windows XP, and can map drives and copy files to & from the sahres without any problems.

I'm fairly new to Linux/Ubuntu, and I don't know how to troubleshoot this type of problem, so I'd be grateful for anyones comments & help.

ADW

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Server 12.04, Samba shares and windows 7

Could you post your /etc/samba/smb.conf files both from 12.04 and 11.10 ?
    You can do this with
    cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
    --------------------------------
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1979297

This looks like a similar problem. There is access to Samba shares from XP , but there is none from windows 7.
    ---------------------------------
    Ive got an idea. Maybe it will solve your problem. Find out , what samba version is installed on your 11.10 and install exactly this version on 12.04 ( dont forget to backup+remove your config file from newer Samba before installing the old version) . You can use the command to find out currently installed smb version: smbstatus
    ----------------------------------
    Looks like MS changed the way W7 connects to external shares after WinXP. And looks like the Samba dev team did something wrong in their new release.Or maybe we are just missing something.)
    --
    Sorry for my bad english
    Last edited by CharlesA; May 13th, 2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: MS slang

Beans

Hi,

Windows7 uses smb2 which samba doesn't support. Thare's a registry option in windows that allows you to accept/send smb packets. When I find the link I'll post it here.

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    Walking on water and writing software to specification is easy if they're frozen.

My corner of the internet http://www.planet-ian.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ian dobson View Post
    Hi,

Windows7 uses smb2 which samba doesn't support. Thare's a registry option in windows that allows you to accept/send smb packets. When I find the link I'll post it here.

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    You shouldn't have to make any changes to the registry.

I'm using 12.04 with the default smb.conf file and I can connect fine from my Win7 box.

Posting the smb.conf file would be the first step to see why it isn't working.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Hi,

Have a look here http://www.sevenforums.com/network-s...-7-client.html

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    Walking on water and writing software to specification is easy if they're frozen.

My corner of the internet http://www.planet-ian.com

Beans

In the Local Group Policy Editor, go to:

Local Computer Policy->Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Local Policies->Security Options

Find the policy:

Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always)

If this is enabled, change it to Disabled. Be sure and restart your machine for the change to take effect! Pressing the "Apply" button in the Policy Editor after the change is made is not sufficient...
    Under no circumstances should anyone sober even think about messing with any Windows7 default security setting. This isn't Win98. Win7 is Windows2000 on steroids with a goofy DE. Whatever the issue is with samba it can be resolved another way.

Beans
    Distro

Actually, the very 1st place I would look is at your VirtualBox settings. Your Network Adapter needs to be set to Bridged Adapter if you want communication between your guest and host to go both ways.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Under no circumstances should anyone sober even think about messing with any Windows7 default security setting. This isn't Win98. Win7 is Windows2000 on steroids with a goofy DE. Whatever the issue is with samba it can be resolved another way.
    Agreed. Of the 5 machines I have Win7 on at home, I have had no issues connecting to Samba when I was using 10.04 or 12.04. The only thing I needed to do was set up a local DNS server to resolve hostnames to ip addresses. Broadcasts would work fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    Actually, the very 1st place I would look is at your VirtualBox settings. Your Network Adapter needs to be set to Bridged Adapter if you want communication between your guest and host to go both ways.
    That would be my bet too - if it is a prebuilt VM, it might have to have it's settings tweaked before it will work.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Hi All,

Thanks for the swift replies.

The versions of Samba are:
    - 11.10 : Samba version 3.5.11
    - 12.04 : Samba version 3.6.3

Both /etc/samba/smb.conf files are identical (attached)

The configuration of the VM's are identical & the network is set to Bridged mode.

I can quite happily ping both servers using either their IP addresses or their machine hostnames (imaginatively 'ubuntu11' & 'ubuntu12').

I think that this is definately a Samba issue, so I'll maybe try downgrading the version to 3.5.11 in the 12.o4 server & see what happens.

ADW
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Any chance that /var/www is set to 0750 or 770?

You might want to see if the samba client on the 12.04 machine can see the samba server on the same machine by running the following command:
    Code:
    smbtree
    If your lucky it will throw an error message if it finds something wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast