Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fast and stable distro for beginner

Beans

fast and stable distro for beginner

Hello..
    I am looking for a linux distro to install on my desktop ( 2GB RAM,2.6 GHz )
    will be using it mostly to browse internet ,watch videos and video chat and to run a windows based application that connects to internet.
    I want it to be
    1) beginner friendly (enough GUI menus)
    2) fast
    3) reasonably stable
    4) good support for multimedia codecs
    dont care much about the looks..

the linux mint live cd didnt work in my case.. tried mint 7 as well as newer lxde version..
    mandriva was very slow and crashed after updates and slax kept crashing in the middle of work ...

wanted to try crunchbang but the disclaimer on the download page kind of scares me..

any suggestions for a good distro are most welcome..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: fast and stable distro for beginner

Quote Originally Posted by izzwish View Post
    Hello..
    I am looking for a linux distro to install on my desktop ( 2GB RAM,2.6 GHz )
    will be using it mostly to browse internet ,watch videos and video chat and to run a windows based application that connects to internet.
    I want it to be
    1) beginner friendly (enough GUI menus)
    2) fast
    3) reasonably stable
    4) good support for multimedia codecs
    dont care much about the looks..

the linux mint live cd didnt work in my case.. tried mint 7 as well as newer lxde version..
    mandriva was very slow and crashed after updates and slax kept crashing in the middle of work ...

wanted to try crunchbang but the disclaimer on the download page kind of scares me..

any suggestions for a good distro are most welcome..
    you can use ubuntu 10.04 and install ubuntu restricted extras to install all multimedia codecs , it will be " reasonably fast" and will be ready to play most of the multimedia content. for the windows program that you want to run, u will have to try and see if it runs properly in wine or not. you can also try xubuntu 12.04 and install restricted extras to do the same thing , it will be fast and you will continue to get updates for a good long period.. wine could be better under it so your windows program could run better.
    Make money by writing !
    You only live once, do what you like most !

Beans

thanks i have refrained from trying ubuntu after reading some reviews about unity and feeling it might be resource heavy on my s/m.. anyways i will give both of these a try and post my comments here..

Beans

Zorin OS comes with just everything you would need loaded up, including codecs and WINE to help run those Windows programs. Comes with many different login themes, including those that look a bit like Windows or MacOS -- it's a beginners/transitional distro based upon Ubuntu.

As otherwise stated, there is also Xubuntu and Lubuntu for older hardware/lower spec machines, but you have to add the restricted extras and WINE for video and Windows emulation.

For Debian, try the new Soulus OS.

or Puppy Linux.

-- Jeff

Beans

1. SolusOS based on Debian stable but with newer programs and tweaked kernel.

2. Xubuntu

3. CrunchBang (it's actually very stable)

4. Bodhi

5. Salix

Ubuntu can have all of these features just by installing the right packages. If unity is too heavy go to software center and install a lighter DE, like xfce or LXDE. If you need multimedia codecs install restricted extras. The other features are covered under ubuntu. If you don't have time to run after packages then give a try to Linux Mint 12. It is shipped with all multimedia codecs and with 2 Desktop enviroinment, Gnome3 and MATE. I'm not sure, but MATE should be enough light. You choose what to use at login screen. Mint 12 covers exactly all the features you listed (if MATE is really lighter than Gnome3). You can also consider Mint 11 LXDE edition, installing all the multimedia codecs should be very easy with an apposite voice in the menu (if I remember correctly).

Of course, you can try Xubuntu (basically ubuntu with xfce) or Lubuntu (basically ubuntu with LXDE).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu or Linux Mint

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks i have refrained from trying ubuntu after reading some reviews about unity and feeling it might be resource heavy on my s/m.. anyways i will give both of these a try and post my comments here..
    That's why LiveCD's exist. So you can test it out and see if it is to your liking or not. The great thing about linux is if you don't like the current setup, changing it is very easy.

Beans

CrunchBang is very stable, because it's based on Debian stable.
    You can also try Lubuntu and Xubuntu.

You seem to have a good enough PC for any distro and any desktop environment.

Beans

I agree with Antman. Solusos is a young distro, but they seem to be doing everything right. My favorite at the moment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast