Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 12.04 sound problem

Re: ubuntu 12.04 sound problem

Thanks for your work adityeah! This edit solved a similar problem I had with audio choppiness coming from a built-in Intel soundcard.

@mattgeb84: to edit the alsa-base.conf file, go to Terminal and type:

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

This opens an editor that will let you edit the file (even though it is read-only). Add the line to the very end of the file and save your changes. I had to restart my computer for the edit to take effect. Remember to undo the change if it fails or has no effect!

Beans

I had the same problem and this fixed it for me, thanks !

Beans

Fixed my sound! Thank you!
    However, and on a totally unrelated note, my sound in virtualbox still has the same problem that my entire system had before the fix. Hmm.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adityeah View Post
    Solved!

Here's what I did:

added this line at the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=generic

That was all. I think I had tried it earlier too but somehow it was not working. Maybe I had tried too much.

But I think the problem was indeed that it was trying to use the ALC888 as ALC662 and that was not happening.

Thanks for the responses. Now I can stick to Ubuntu and try to get friendly with Unity
    I second this solution although my problem was not as sever as having no sound. My music would just skip/stutter at random intervals. I added the line to the alas-base.conf rebooted and everything seems to work fine now. At least after 30 minutes of testing.
    I have a Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Solved!

Here's what I did:

That was all. I think I had tried it earlier too but somehow it was not working. Maybe I had tried too much.

But I think the problem was indeed that it was trying to use the ALC888 as ALC662 and that was not happening.

Thanks for the responses. Now I can stick to Ubuntu and try to get friendly with Unity
    THANK YOU! This was driving me crazy! Sound doesn't skip now and I didn't even have to reboot! Just edit the file and play something

P.D. I have an Intel DZ77GA-70K motherboard, I know the sound is Realtek but no idea which model Anyway, it works now
    Linux User #431836
    Machine #370145

Beans

Hi Adityeah,

Thanks so much! +1

This had been bothering me for 3 months or so and I had not sat down to resolve it seriously. Today I got ready to invest some time on it but this fix worked right away. Again, thanks!

Solved!

Here's what I did:

Beans

thanks, adding that line fixed my infrequent stuttering sound problem as well !!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by era506 View Post
    THANK YOU! This was driving me crazy! Sound doesn't skip now and I didn't even have to reboot! Just edit the file and play something

P.D. I have an Intel DZ77GA-70K motherboard, I know the sound is Realtek but no idea which model Anyway, it works now

Well this worked until I tried my headphones and I got sound on both, headphones and speakers...
    I remembered that I saw an update a while ago that said something about Intel HDA sound so I removed that line from /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and so far sound doesn't skip and plugging in my headphones "mutes" the speakers as expected

EDIT: it seems I jumped into conclusions too quickly... I'm still getting skipped sound from time to time... I'll guess I'll just turn the speakers off while my headphones are plugged in then...
    Last edited by era506; September 1st, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
    Linux User #431836
    Machine #370145

Beans

Adding that line worked for me as well, thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm adding myself to the list that this has fixed issues for.

I want to add a few points about this.

- This did not affect me until an update came down about a month ago. I have never had sound problems with any previous Ubuntu version.

- Reinstalling 12.04 off the CD and refusing updates fixes the issue, however the issue returns as soon as updates are done.

- This issue is related to video skipping and flash video problems that have been popping up in the forums, on AskUbuntu, and around the internet. I have been trying to fix this issue for weeks, and went down flash troubleshooting paths and the like, with no success.

- Removing PulseAudio in favour of ALSA also fixed the issue for me, however this was not a 'preffered' solution in my eyes as it is a system change and not a true fix. This does seem to indicated that although the fix is to change an ALSA setting, the problem actually seems to lie with a misunderstanding between ALSA and Pulse, as ALSA works just fine without Pulse involved in the equation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast