Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Ubuntu destroy my CPU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Red face Will Ubuntu destroy my CPU

I have just finished installing Ubuntu 10.04 on my 2008 MacBook Pro and just read somewhere that running Ubuntu on a Mac will cause catastrophic CPU failure because of a secret type of chip that Apple puts in their computers!!! I am wondering whether is true or not.

Is my CPU going to die from Ubuntu, or is it safe to continue running Ubuntu on my MacBook?
    Last edited by dolphin194; May 13th, 2012 at 03:17 AM.
    Feel free to add me on Skype for a quicker response, but tell me you're from the forums!
    Read the following if you want, but I'm warning you: it may be complete nonsense!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Will Ubuntu destroy my CPU

No, it is NOT true and it is 100% safe to put Ubuntu on your Mac Book. Literally thousands of people before you have done it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

ok i was just making sure because a bunch of threads out there have said something about it killing the CPU in a Intel-Based Mac because of a different voltage or frequency or something.
    Feel free to add me on Skype for a quicker response, but tell me you're from the forums!
    Read the following if you want, but I'm warning you: it may be complete nonsense!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin194 View Post
    ok i was just making sure because a bunch of threads out there have said something about it killing the CPU in a Intel-Based Mac because of a different voltage or frequency or something.
    It is possible to include links to the " bunch of threads out there".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin194 View Post
    It is a complete rumor .Can you please post some sources that justifies your statement .
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu will blow your whole house up. Be careful with it.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    Ubuntu will blow your whole house up. Be careful with it.
    It certainly provided some distractions in the Lisati household that could potentially disrupt blissful domestic harmony!

As others have said, it's likely to be rumour, and some links to help us check what the OP has been reading might be useful when making sure we're all on the same page.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

On some laptops, if Ubuntu doesn't support your cpu fan then yes. But still, that's not ubuntu's fault, it's the user's for not checking to see if your fan was running. Maybe that's what you were referring to?
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    On some laptops, if Ubuntu doesn't support your cpu fan then yes.
    Still no.

CPUs have a sensor in them called a "thermal diode". If the temperature in the CPU hits a critical level, the CPU shuts down to prevent damage. Even if your fan stops working, the CPU will turn off safely. Actually, it's even better than that; on many CPUs you can completely unplug the fan and the CPU will simply underclock itself. This means that the CPU keeps running at a vastly reduced speed and temperature, and you can save your work and shut down safely.

I must admit I've never heard of "Ubuntu not supporting your fan". The motherboard and the EFI (on a Mac) controls the fan regardless of operating system. You can sit on the bootloader screen for a year and the fan will still run, because the EFI and the motherboard are running the fan.

In short, running Ubuntu will not damage your hardware. There are safeguards in hardware to prevent CPU and motherboard damage, and nothing short of malicious software will damage the computer.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Still no.

CPUs have a sensor in them called a "thermal diode". If the temperature in the CPU hits a critical level, the CPU shuts down to prevent damage. Even if your fan stops working, the CPU will turn off safely. Actually, it's even better than that; on many CPUs you can completely unplug the fan and the CPU will simply underclock itself. This means that the CPU keeps running at a vastly reduced speed and temperature, and you can save your work and shut down safely.

I must admit I've never heard of "Ubuntu not supporting your fan". The motherboard and the EFI (on a Mac) controls the fan regardless of operating system. You can sit on the bootloader screen for a year and the fan will still run, because the EFI and the motherboard are running the fan.

In short, running Ubuntu will not damage your hardware. There are safeguards in hardware to prevent CPU and motherboard damage, and nothing short of malicious software will damage the computer.
    With something as brain dead as the acpi specification. I will not be surprised if some manufacturer think is ok to reinvent the wheel like in acer netbook. Fan is controlled in userspace
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast