Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam coming to Ubuntu

Beans

Question Steam coming to Ubuntu

Ok, so I have read that steam will be coming to Ubuntu. But what does this mean? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I've only recently came back to Ubuntu since a lot of years on Windows.
    So when steam comes, will we be only able to open steam and browse? What about games, is there anyway they can make us play games that we purchased on steam in Ubuntu?
    I wish, and would probably completing scrap Windows if Ubuntu started getting big title games. Its the one thing that Ubuntu is missing, I know its easy to dual boot and use Windows for when I want to play, but I just don't like Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Steam coming to Ubuntu

Check these out:

Steam For Ubuntu

Linux Steam
    Question Everything

Beans

Talking Re: Steam coming to Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    Check these out:

Steam For Ubuntu

Linux Steam
    Wow, Thanks, normally I hate when people just send a link to my posts, but these are 2 good links and answered all my questions.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by v0 HaVoK 0v View Post
    Wow, Thanks, normally I hate when people just send a link to my posts, but these are 2 good links and answered all my questions.
    I normally just don't post links to other's posts either, but I figured those explain it very well. I'm glad to have answered your questions. I can't wait for this to happen! I want to do some serious gaming since I'm about to start building a new computer!
    Question Everything

Beans

This is old news, and to be honest I really think these type of threads belong in recurring discussions but thats just my opinion. Anyways there have been many "official" reports like this for years. If you *really* want to know the story about steam on linux just do a simple search through these forums for "linux steam porting" and you'll find stuff all the way back to 2008. I've said it before, gonna say it again, I personally refuse to believe *any* report of steam coming to linux, even from valve themselves, until at least three days after a working download link is available on the steam website. Be aware even if steam itself gets a linux client that does not mean all those games available on steam will also be ported as well. Personally I couldn't care less if steam came to linux and would much prefer if the companies that distribute games on steam would port their software and make it available on linux natively without steam.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans

I normally just don't post links to other's posts either, but I figured those explain it very well. I'm glad to have answered your questions. I can't wait for this to happen! I want to do some serious gaming since I'm about to start building a new computer!
    Yeah I can't wait, even worse for me.... I already have a perfect build for gaming, but no games to play yet, well if I start Windows I can, but I don't even want to look back at windows

Beans
    Distro

Yeah I can't wait, even worse for me.... I already have a perfect build for gaming, but no games to play yet, well if I start Windows I can, but I don't even want to look back at windows
    Maybe you can give me some tips on building my computer since it will be my first build. I've been looking at the Ivy Bridge processors, not quite sure on the motherboard yet, either Z77 or X79 chipset (haven't been able to come to a decision), definitely need help in choosing a graphics card, and anything else you can offer is much appreciated.
    Question Everything

Beans

Maybe you can give me some tips on building my computer since it will be my first build. I've been looking at the Ivy Bridge processors, not quite sure on the motherboard yet, either Z77 or X79 chipset (haven't been able to come to a decision), definitely need help in choosing a graphics card, and anything else you can offer is much appreciated.
    The z77 would do just perfect and would save some money.
    For a graphics card, the AMD 7970 and the nvidia 680 are both very good, either one of them would do you really good for gaming

Beans

I have the opposite, Lots of games and only an old laptop that has an intel 945gm IGP.

I'm soo poor

I have 40 games not including source mods. I really need a new desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Like donkyhotay said, porting Steam doesn't mean that all the games will automatically and magically be ported over. So if it even happens, what you'll end up with is a game downloading and launching client that can only open games that have been written for or ported to Linux. With all of the reports about Steam being ported, I haven't seen too many reports about the games that will be ported.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast