Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 shutdown bug

Beans

Re: 12.04 shutdown bug

Quote Originally Posted by GreggC View Post
    Actually, it did help. I also recalled that there was a log viewer. I looked but did not see any errors.

It's hit or miss, mostly miss on shut down. Sometimes it will, but mostly it won't.

I'm thinking I need to do a re-install, but I don't want to have to reinstall everything again........

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by 2sondad View Post
    I'm thinking I need to do a re-install, but I don't want to have to reinstall everything again........
    There is a software called AptOnCD available in software center. Download and install it. It will let you make an iso file of your current installations and let u install the softwares offline. So if u are planning to install ubuntu again, this tool might be handy if u don't wanna waste ur bandwidth downloading and installing same softwares again.

Happy Linuxing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the advice - I wish I saw your post before my system broke after an update.

Beans

Running 12.04 on a Toshiba Portege R835 P 56X and the shutdown by the icon on the upper right does nothing but suspend. Thanks to this forum, found out how to use the computer's on-off button to accomplish pretty much the same end. Still...

Beans

I'm also having problems with on doing shutdown. I installed ubuntu 12.04 about ten days ago, and if I recall it was shutting down correctly for first few days, then some updates were applied and now it restarts instead of shutting down.

I'll read the post on the log files and try to get a better handle on this, but I'm relatively new to linux.

K

Beans

As with the other admin tools simpy clicking on the menu item doesn't always give the full picture ( nor should it ). If you open them from a terminal with a sudo in front one sees more. In 10.04 it would be "sudo gnome-system-log" so "unity-system-log" perhaps? Unsure but if you open the log file viewer in the graphic way then look at it's help you'll find the command. Another way is to gksu gedit and browse to the log file location.

Beans

I've searched multiple threads and have had no luck in fixing this bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Similar issue on d420 , but not as frequent as 1/2 cases. maybe 1 in 4 times. but i thought it got to do with my small sized RAM
    Hi, I am Ihsan: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/inashdeen
    Kasr El Ain Medical School,Cairo University, Egypt. Malaysian Linux user, Free sourcer and part time geek since 2008.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The shutdown bug was fixed after installing the latest video drivers from the Radeon website. After a a subsequent update, Xwindows would not load. I re-installed the video drivers from the repository and everything has been working OK since.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Interesting, strange for a shutdown bug occur caused a buggy graphic card. oh yeah, don't forget to mark thread as [solved]
    Hi, I am Ihsan: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/inashdeen
    Kasr El Ain Medical School,Cairo University, Egypt. Malaysian Linux user, Free sourcer and part time geek since 2008.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast