Thread: Wireless 3945ABG very slow?

Beans

Wireless 3945ABG very slow?

Hi there,
    I have the sensation that my wifi connection is quite slow because it also doesnt matters to which network I am connected to.
    I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and have a Intel Wifi Card:
    0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 1021
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 44
    Memory at f9fff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: iwl3945
    Kernel modules: iwl3945

I was looking over the internet if there is something about a driver change, but didnt got a good result

I hope someone can assist me a bit?
    Thx
    Stephan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Wireless 3945ABG very slow?

hi, i'm posting here because i have the same problem. wireless used to be pretty decent, but i installed xubuntu 12.04 and now i can barely break 50kb/s on torrents TOTAL

i think the problem is the switch from ipw3945 to iwl3945, which i've never heard good things about. i cant for the life of me figure out how to install (i dont think it's in the repos anymore)

i've also had a lot of problems with encryption on 12.04. ive read some stuff about encryption being handled by hardware vs software, and how one is good and the other bad, but i dont know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Take a look at my post from a few months ago. See if that helps.

I should mention that if the workaround in that thread works, you may have a problem that only comes up with some routers. With our old Linksys WRT54G I had to use this workaround. We got a new Netgear router a few weeks ago. I then removed the workaround and the wireless connectivity is fine.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    Take a look at my post from a few months ago. See if that helps.

I should mention that if the workaround in that thread works, you may have a problem that only comes up with some routers. With our old Linksys WRT54G I had to use this workaround. We got a new Netgear router a few weeks ago. I then removed the workaround and the wireless connectivity is fine.
    i can do better than disabling wireless n, i can have a laptop made before it existed! lol the ipw3945 is wireless a/b/g.

im trying to find any option before i try and install ipw3945 from source.

Beans

Hi Bartender,
    I tried your way and it works. Before when I copied something to my NAS I had 300KB and now 2mbit.

Thanks a lot

Beans
    Distro

so i tried it... even though i have a 3945abg...

Code:
    gksu leafpad /etc/modprobe.d/options.conf
    i didn't have an options.conf file already so an empty file was opened. i pasted options iwl4965 11n_disable=1 into the first line and saved, then rebooted.

it's not as fast as it used to be, but definitely better.

do you guys have stability issues for a couple minutes after starting? i disconnected and reconnected a couple times. wicd is also not using the static ip i set for connecting to my wifi, but when i dis/reconnect it will use them. that might be wicd's fault not the 3945's though

Beans

Just thought I would add to this. I have a Gateway with a PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection. I haven't noticed slowness per say, but the connection does "break" when I'm download large files from the internet or lan. I noticed a problem when I upgraded to 11.04, I was hoping 12.04 would fix the problem but it didn't. I put break in quotes because network manager still shows I'm connected, but I can't ping the router. I have to turn off the wifi adapter with a switch and turn it back on again to get the connection to start working. I'm using an SMC Barricade N Wireless Router. I have tried various different things, including disabling N, with no success. I did open a question on launchpad here.
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...uestion/189625
    Seems everyone has a slightly different problem with the driver for this Wifi card. Maybe it depends on the router.

Normal browsing of the internet seems to be fine, when I need to do updates, I hard wire to the network.

There is some hope. I found the following.
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=805285
    http://bugzilla.intellinuxwireless.o...ug.cgi?id=2359
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=768567
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1009878

Not really sure how to tell when or if the patch from Intel will get rolled into 12.04/12.10
    Last edited by mconley3; August 10th, 2012 at 06:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thread moved to Networking & Wireless.