Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is Brasero so awful

Beans

Re: Why is Brasero so awful

I've had problems with brassero to so just use disc creator, which I think was in the default install anyway ( 10.04lts ), can't swear to that. Bung in the blank media then close the automatically opening box ... well I don't now as I told it not to open on detecting blank disks years ago. Then right click on the file in question, choose "write to disk", use the properties tab to choose burn speed, open or closed, ect and set it off. It works a treat. Been on a distro binge recently and must be dozens without fails. Still use the simulator first anyway.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
    Thanks to the availability of cheap external hard disks, I don't burn that often ( once every 4 months) to spend that much ($80) on it. But I do respect Nero.
    I was going to point out that NERO 4 was only $25; and I was also going to give you a link, but it looks like Nero has stopped offering their Linux version -- a shame. It was a great piece of software - much slimmed down compared to their windows offering.

Edit: For anyone else still interested this link, to NERO, still appears to work for the Linux version.
    Last edited by neu5eeCh; May 12th, 2012 at 12:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I used to have issue with Brasero and other burn programs when blanking discs. I've since learned that I can just burn to a used RW disc and Brasero asks to blank it first, which it does and then it burns what I want. Insofar, I've yet to have any more coaster issues. K3B is okay, but not my favorite. Xburn is fine, but can fail to burn at times. GnomeBaker is pretty good, but can still be a little wonky sometimes. Never bought Nero, but I've tried it and it's just as good as it's Win counterpart.
    In a nutshell, I'm not really partial to any of the programs as I rarely need them. When I do, I use the default and if that fails, I use others....
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    I was going to point out that NERO 4 was only $25; and I was also going to give you a link, but it looks like Nero has stopped offering their Linux version -- a shame. It was a great piece of software - much slimmed down compared to their windows offering.

Edit: For anyone else still interested this link, to NERO, still appears to work for the Linux version.
    That's a shame. It still works in 12.04 ( at least in Xubuntu 12.04 ) so I'm grateful for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Then again, one could always just use growisofs.
    http://linux.die.net/man/1/growisofs
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    I guess that people feel violated by K libs being installed. If there was a picture of a facepalm big enough to relay how I feel, I'd do it. Bandit? (help me out)

Obviously some people are ignorant. Long time users know better. There's some really nice K apps out there.
    Agreed. I was a sleep.. hehe

Here this should work!
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

For a foss solution K3B rocks!

I have Nero Linux & XFBurn installed though.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Back when i used gnome, i used gnomebaker. Now that i use xfce, i use Xfburn.

It seemed to me brasero used the drive more directly, not as a simple frontend for cdrecord/wodim/etc. This was good and bad at the same time, seemed fine when cdrecord didn't like your drive, bad when you had another problem with the drive for whatever reason; then the drive would remain unusable until reboot.

I also had the experience of k3b totally ruining brasero (and the other way around), it seemed to conflict with some kde libs trying to use the drive at the same time as brasero, leaving it in an unusable state, or coaster factory (Nautilus messing didn't help either).

From this experience i stick to a single burning solution, and preferably remove the others, i would specially uninstall brasero.

BTW: you have to remember when installing packages, "recommended" packages are assumed as dependencies. That can be changed for apt and synaptic, no idea about software center. So that long list of k3b dependencies can probably be reduced a little.

With apt, all you need is an /etc/apt/apt.conf with the option:
    APT::Install-Recommends "0"; or use the option: --no-install-recommends (ie: sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends k3b).

But these days i rarely burn discs anymore, seems the technology will last even less than floppies, made obsolete by usb sticks and sd cards.

Long term backup storage remains the puzzle, off line HDs? Mass pile of SD cards? (SDXC is coming with 64g sizes now...)
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wink Re: Why is Brasero so awful

I've just removed Brasero and installed K3b after having read the responses from users on the Software Centre, it's an excellent piece of software and very fast...and now my disc has been burnt and the tray has popped out. Job done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends k3b
    Thanks that cut it from 106 packages to 58 packages

Code:
    cdparanoia cdrdao k3b k3b-data kate-data katepart kde-runtime
      kde-runtime-data kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins kdoctools
      libattica0.3 libk3b6 libkatepartinterfaces4 libkcddb4 libkcmutils4
      libkde3support4 libkdeclarative5 libkdecore5 libkdesu5 libkdeui5