Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Symphony - Shell evolved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Symphony - Shell evolved

Notice in the screen shot I can enter dash without my applications minimizing or being hidden.To enter the application screen in the Gnome Shell I have to use a keyboard shortcut or move the cursor to the left corner and select applications to choose applications from the list.

Although search is possible in the shell the overview minimizes or hides the open application and then they return using the keyboard or mouse again .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I agree the open windows are removed form view when you start typing in Gnome Shell (You can type immediately when you enter the shell, no need to click anything), it will only show the matching information and applications at that point, but in a certain way so does Unity.
    The difference is that the windows from the open applications appear blurred on the background in Unity, which, in my opinion, makes them useless as well and instead give a cluttered and chaotic feeling to the desktop where Shell just shows the background instead. You even have to press Esc twice in both environments to close the dash/overlay.
    Functionally there both identical in usage, so the only real difference is in it's appearance, Shell shows all open windows next to each other in a overview, which I kinda like, but removes them when you start typing. Unity keeps them in place all the time and blurs them to be able to display it's information on top of them.

Can you give me an example why you would want to able to keep your windows in place when you search for a application to start?
    (You can still see which are running in the launcher itself)

Why does it matter that the desktop gets "cleaned" to give more focus on the things you're looking for?

Beans
    Distro

In terms efficiency more animation is required. I use Unity,the Gnome Shell, Win 7 and E17 regularly and adapt easily different desktop environments. Many computer users are not or simply don't want to be as flexible.

I have tried KDE , LXDE and XFCE and may explore KDE more . Windows I have to use but prefer the Gnome Shell , Unity and E17. If you have a new desktop environment I would be willing to try ,but I am not type of user that needs convincing.

After 3 releases of Unity and Gnome 2 no longer in development there are still users who want Ubuntu with Gnome 2. Consider the amount of effort that has been put into developing tweaks in order to make the fallback session like Gnome 2.

Beans
    Distro

I agree it looks like there is happening more within Gnome Shell, I'm not convinced this is better or worse compared to Unity.
    I'm also using quite a lot different DE's and devices and am pretty adaptable as well, but do encounter situation where something seems out of place and is better thought through in another interface.
    A agree most people tend to keep things as they where. Even though things might be better otherwise.
    This is basic human psychology and things have to grow on them. So is basically starts with people like you and me.

My goal is essentially taking the good parts, rethink and theme them and make a new experience.
    Building the actual shell itself will require a lot more effort than I can provide to make it a viable option. Currently I'm thinking about extending Gnome Shell, but I refrain from actually keep technology in mind for now. Functionality is of greater concern at the moment.
    Could you mind taking a look on what I've managed to draw so far (and anyone who reads this for that matter)?

Does this concept seem to be a step in the right direction?

Note that the overlay / launcher is not drawn yet, see my signature for the link.
    Last edited by Reason NL; June 11th, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
    Symphony - Shell evolved ( Website | Thread | Follow )

Beans
    Distro

what I like about E17 is it's light. It has great animation,the built in ability to add multiple docks on all sides of the screen and a full menu is available anytime an open area on the screen is clicked .

This is good thinking because it allows the user freedom from a centralized menu location. E17 requires some time learn though. The PPA I use requires a whole 17 Mb of disk space and the Lubuntu desktop used 300 plus.

Beans
    Distro

The load and size on the system is, for now, not important. I'm nowhere near implementing anything yet.
    The animations are also at the end of the line, but these are indeed very important, but again should be functional, they should be used to visualize what happens with objects so people can see where they go (Maximizing etc.).
    I'm not opting for burning windows flying cubes or anything, although this should be possible by extending the base in my opinion.
    Opening the menu from right clicking on the desktop is not use full for new / unexperienced users.
    Nobody knows it's there and what about maximized windows, how do you open the menu then?

I could however think of a way to open the overlay (which will be based on gnome shell) with the contextual menu on the desktop besides a normal button. That way you won't have to move the mouse all the way to that button.
    For example right click followed by left click where the first option would be opening the overlay and the mouse would be on top of it when the menu opens.

Beans
    Distro

what about maximized windows, how do you open the menu then?
    The menu can accessed on any dock(shelf)the user chooses to place a menu start indicator on. The shelves can be set to appear above or below windows.

Some form of Enlightenment (E16-17) been around for a long time and many problems, window rules, and exceptions have received long term consideration and there are numerous setting options.

Much of controversy surrounding Unity and the Gnome Shell in my thinking comes down to how programs are accessed.There certainly seems to be a lot argument about menus though it has subsided with each release of Unity and the Gnome shell.

I can't tell a Whole lot about your project from the screen shots but what you have looks good.

Beans
    Distro

Although I agree things should have some degree of configuration options (Unity has none), it should however facilitate in a consistent interface which users can accustom to.
    You can't expect people to first configure there desktop before they can even use there computer or to re-accustom to another one which was configured by someone else. To much freedom will make most people feel lost and confused. This is what keeps "normal" users away from the Linux desktop.
    The key is to finding the right balance where you can give a user who just want to browse the web, watch some videos and check there mail a simple interface and the power users who want to change everything in a way to accompany there workflow and get thinks done by just pressing some ambiguous key shortcuts to make everything happen.

I'm therefor not trying to make an interface which will suite everybody because of the amount of configuration options, but because it uses a sleek and consistent interface and a clever use of shortcuts to help power users.

I am a applications developer myself and I completely understand what you mean by being able to change everything to suit your needs, but I'm also a user who just wants to use his small laptop for the casual browsing not having to configure it for countless hours.

I do think that loosing (or hiding) the categorization from the menu options is a bad idea though.

I decided to first think about how to shape the status/state of the computer/device. After I'm (and you guys are) satisfied with it I'll commit myself to the launcher and overlay.
    I do have some ideas about this and I think I wrote much of it down here already.
    I also did have some preliminary screens about shaping the overlay and the workspace management,
    but there too outdated and thus not useful to publish anymore.

Thanks for the compliment, even though I'm still in a conceptual phase, I can't resist making it look nice.
    Thank you even more for your constructive insides, this will actually help in making something useful. Keep it up!

Beans
    Distro

Updated the website, made it look cooler and added global explanation and descriptions to current images.
    Don't forget to Like/+1 it!

Beans
    Distro

Been busy lately, so haven't had much time drawing a lot. I did however added a screen showing the display state and what is should be exposing.

I also made a Google+ page for this project. You can subscribe (follow) this page and be able to comment on specific updates and keep this forum open for general discussion.

I will be posting updates on there as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast