Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is a new Serval Pro in the works?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Is a new Serval Pro in the works?

@compholio A bigger question would be if WINE supports the games. http://appdb.winehq.org/

Technically the hardware should pass well above the minimum requirements if you're "cringe" dual booting. http://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_III...ements#Windows

Beans

When you say it's in the works is that in a couple of months or next year? I am allowed to buy a new laptop for my new job and if it will come out soonish then I would very much like to wait.

I'm not looking for an official release date, just a super unofficial you can lie and I can't hold it against you anyway type of answer that I will in NO WAY expect to be correct but is just a best, actually just ok, guess, please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    When you say it's in the works is that in a couple of months or next year? I am allowed to buy a new laptop for my new job and if it will come out soonish then I would very much like to wait.

I'm not looking for an official release date, just a super unofficial you can lie and I can't hold it against you anyway type of answer that I will in NO WAY expect to be correct but is just a best, actually just ok, guess, please!
    The problem is that if I say something wrong, and even if you don't hold it against me, someone else will. That and the fact that I really have no information about it. We'll hopefully have it sooner than a year, but beyond that I don't have the information to get more specific.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    The problem is that if I say something wrong, and even if you don't hold it against me, someone else will. That and the fact that I really have no information about it. We'll hopefully have it sooner than a year, but beyond that I don't have the information to get more specific.
    Nope, that's all I wanted. "Hopefully we will have it before a year" is good enough for me. I really wasn't looking for any where near an actual number.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joe4ska View Post
    @compholio A bigger question would be if WINE supports the games. http://appdb.winehq.org/
    That's as much a function of the graphics card as anything else. Wine has a lot of trouble with AMD graphics cards in some games. I run Diablo III just great on my gazp6, but that doesn't mean it'll work on an AMD card.
    Install Pipelight (run Netflix and other VOD services on Linux)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by compholio View Post
    That's as much a function of the graphics card as anything else. Wine has a lot of trouble with AMD graphics cards in some games. I run Diablo III just great on my gazp6, but that doesn't mean it'll work on an AMD card.
    Is there any way we can get a specific game tested on the Laptops if there is a guaranteed purchase involved?

I am a huge player of EVE Online and I really need that to work at least partially. They have support for Nvidia card which as I read is apparently out the window. So if it was possible to know if that worked before I get all the upgrades that would be amazing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    Is there any way we can get a specific game tested on the Laptops if there is a guaranteed purchase involved?

I am a huge player of EVE Online and I really need that to work at least partially. They have support for Nvidia card which as I read is apparently out the window. So if it was possible to know if that worked before I get all the upgrades that would be amazing?
    Definitely not. It's just way too far outside our scope to be able to test games on request. That said, if it's possible to get it working under Ubuntu, then you'll be fine on our systems.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Definitely not. It's just way too far outside our scope to be able to test games on request. That said, if it's possible to get it working under Ubuntu, then you'll be fine on our systems.
    That's what I thought but I had to try. I just don't have the hardware to test building it on Ubuntu (it does work it is just very graphics card dependant). Guess I'll take the gamble!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool Re: Is a new Serval Pro in the works?

Really concerned about status of the new Serval line. It's been close to 6 weeks since I last commented and there has been no movement toward filling out the Sysyem 76 lineup of laptops. No Serval, no Bonobo?

Don't want System 76 to fade away. We need a company that has performed well in producing good conputers running Ubuntu.

hkj629

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hkarl629 View Post
    Really concerned about status of the new Serval line. It's been close to 6 weeks since I last commented and there has been no movement toward filling out the Sysyem 76 lineup of laptops. No Serval, no Bonobo?

Don't want System 76 to fade away. We need a company that has performed well in producing good conputers running Ubuntu.

hkj629
    We're definitely not fading away, and we do have three excellent Ubuntu computers available right now. We just can't get the Serval working right now. We'd much rather release a solid product than one that works poorly.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast