Thread: power management, and computer switching itself off

Beans

power management, and computer switching itself off

Hi

I have a big problem.
    My HP 8540w is switching itself off because it reached 100 C (at which point I think the BIOS declares it's too hot for safety).

It's pretty easy to get there. Just X can consume one cpu for 2-3 min and that's all it takes to reach 100 C.

I see that ubuntu comes with no power management out of the box (ie, power profiles, where one can say 'throttle all you can, I'm on battery). The closest thing I could find is a 3rd party tool called jupiter. Still, on medium settings I get the shutdowns.

Any idea what to do next? This comp. ran windows before for 1 year, and this never happened.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: power management, and computer switching itself off

I would have your fan checked. Running at 100C is not normal. The highest I ever get is 41C..so there is an underlying problem that is not power management related...
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans

Is this 41C using a hP 8540w i7? I'm surprised! I have 16 Gb ram, not sure if that increases the temperature...

Beans

Just used a hoover on the fan. Still very close to 52C. If anyone can confirm that this HP can run as cold as 40C,I'll change the fan.

Beans
    Distro

52C is very normal temp the 100C is not but in reading some on the forum:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1785133

This seems to be a problem with this HP model. The fix there was to update the BIOS...you may consider also getting a cooling pad. as well. My Dell used to overheat a lot but I do a lot of audio/video rendering. The cooling pad keeps everything good no matter what I do now. Good Luck.
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Distro

If you have a can of compressed air, try blowing out the fan. If a big cloud of dust comes out, your problem may be solved.

I've seen it work before.
    I asked the Lord for patience and He led me to Linux
    Linux User #470874 | Ubuntu User #22063