Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VirtualBox: No USB devices available

Beans

VirtualBox: No USB devices available

Hi,
    I am running Ubuntu 12.04 with VirtualBox and a Windows 7x64 as guest. But I can't mount any USB devices, they are all greyed out. I used to work, but now it doesn't. I tried already several things:

This is NOT a problem of vboxusers group! I am in this group:
    Code:
    ch@ch-laptop:~$ id
    uid=1000(ch) gid=1000(ch) groups=1000(ch),4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),46(plugdev),105(lpadmin),119(admin),122(sambashare),127(vboxusers)
    Another solution i tired is this one:
    Edit /etc/fstab and add:

Code:
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=XXX,devmode=664 0 0
    but I can't add the folder usb to bus, maybe because I'm using 12.04 ..

Please Help me, I tried everything!

Re: VirtualBox: No USB devices available

Guest Additions (re)installed?
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
    Guest Additions (re)installed?
    Thanks 4ur suggestion. I have reinstalled it, but nothing changed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you install virtualbox from the repos or from here https://www.virtualbox.org/

Beans

Exclamation Re: VirtualBox: No USB devices available

Another interesting aspect is: when I configure the VM, in the USB-filter list i can click on 'add filter from device' and see all the devices active. But the filters are not executed, as no devices are connected.. and i see the same devices in the menu of the running vm, where all are grayed out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by westie457 View Post
    Did you install virtualbox from the repos or from here https://www.virtualbox.org/
    I installed the *.deb from the website:
    http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...cise_amd64.deb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Next question. Are the USB devices connected when you start the virtual machine?

If not connected at that time to access USB devices after boot up you need to go to the Devices menu of the running VM and select the USB device there.

One extra piece of advice here is do notselect the mouse as this will lock the mouse into the VM window and is very hard to unlock.

Beans

Next question. Are the USB devices connected when you start the virtual machine?

If not connected at that time to access USB devices after boot up you need to go to the Devices menu of the running VM and select the USB device there.

One extra piece of advice here is do notselect the mouse as this will lock the mouse into the VM window and is very hard to unlock.
    Yes, the devices are connected before starting. As I said, I can see them in the menu, but they are disabled. (gray)
    And believe me: i would be so happy if the machine would lock my mouse receiver, but how should it do this with only gray entries??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This might seem to be a strange question.
    Is 12.04 your original installation of Ubuntu or did you upgrade from an earlier version?

The reason for asking is when I first started with OSE Virtualbox it was installed whilst using 10.10. When I upgraded to 11.04 and had to use an updated version of Virtualbox if I tried to install the version for 11.04 over the top of the earler version I too lost access to USB devices and a few other things.
    The solution for me was to use the updated version for 10.10. Even now while using 11.10 I still have to use virtualbox updates for 10.10.

You might have to try the same if you started with an earlier version.

If however 12.04 is your first go I have to admit that I am stumped on offering a solution.

Beans

Smile Re: VirtualBox: No USB devices available

This might seem to be a strange question.
    Is 12.04 your original installation of Ubuntu or did you upgrade from an earlier version?

The reason for asking is when I first started with OSE Virtualbox it was installed whilst using 10.10. When I upgraded to 11.04 and had to use an updated version of Virtualbox if I tried to install the version for 11.04 over the top of the earler version I too lost access to USB devices and a few other things.
    The solution for me was to use the updated version for 10.10. Even now while using 11.10 I still have to use virtualbox updates for 10.10.

You might have to try the same if you started with an earlier version.

If however 12.04 is your first go I have to admit that I am stumped on offering a solution.
    Hey, this is by far no strange question, caue this is actually the case. i am using ubuntu only for about 2 months (again) but i had to update it all the way from 10.10 because of some other strange errors ... :-/
    so, u sggest to install the virtualbox updates for 10.10? could this work? cause actually its a downgrade .. ?
    But thanks for this idea.. i'll try this trmw.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast