• Excelent I'm adicted

7 14.58%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets here what you have to say about The HUD and the new Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lets here what you have to say about The HUD and the new Unity

This is not a bout the new 12.04 theres lot of forum thread to take care of that topic. This is to get your ideas on what you think of the new Unity and newest member of the system The HUD.

Well regardless of what most people say and the criticism I like unity and have adjusted to it nicely after using the GNOME 2.xx for ages with the 10.04 which I tweaked to fit my liking.

Personally I love the HUD why 'cos it let's me keep my hands on the keyboard and search what I want in the menu. But when it comes to the office package well that's another story but in time that'll get fixed (I hope).

So this is my 2 cents on this what do you guys have to say about this.
    Make Google your friend
    Please Mark threads as solved when they have been answered

Beans
    Distro

Re: Lets here what you have to say about The HUD and the new Unity

I haven't used it that much yet but my experience until now is that it's really handy if you're using the keyboard and you want to quickly navigate to some function that's in the menu - no need to grab the mouse.

When Unity first came out I wasn't a big fan, but I guess I've gotten used to it and in the last two Ubuntu releases there have been some good improvements. I like it now.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro

Wow, nice 3 votes as a good idea it seems like devs at canonical has got something right. But this will be a gr8 improvement when they get the HUD to work with libreoffice.
    Make Google your friend

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

As a KDE user who only has Unity installed on a netbook, I can't say that I've used it much. And when I have, it hasn't really been of much use. That probably says more about the applications that I was using at the time, LibreOffice and Opera than the programming and work that has gone into developing the HUD.

I voted "Needs improvement" as to be effective it needs to work with all applications. I'm sure by the time of the next LTS release the HUD will have got to where Canonical want it to be. But for now, it's not for me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    As a KDE user who only has Unity installed on a netbook, I can't say that I've used it much. And when I have, it hasn't really been of much use. That probably says more about the applications that I was using at the time, LibreOffice and Opera than the programming and work that has gone into developing the HUD.

I voted "Needs improvement" as to be effective it needs to work with all applications. I'm sure by the time of the next LTS release the HUD will have got to where Canonical want it to be. But for now, it's not for me.
    A very good point PaulW2U except for the libre office other programs are working with it you should try it more offten.
    Make Google your friend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

HUD is full of win. I had to use Inkscape for the first time the other day, and instead of rummaging around in the menus trying to find where a command was buried I was able to just hit ALT and start typing. This is really a quantum leap forward in discoverability for complex apps. It's much more seamless to have this as a feature of the desktop instead of having to go off and Google how to achieve a specific task.

There have been some slightly weird concepts going into Ubuntu from the interface bods lately (global menu, overlay scrollbars, etc) but HUD is immense.
    Last edited by Paqman; May 10th, 2012 at 02:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Same with bookmarks in firefox. Browsing the internet or typing into google, tap alt, <book mark name> enter and you get the bookmark up in a new tab.

Quick and useful, much better than looking through loads of menu items.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Peter09 View Post
    Same with bookmarks in firefox. Browsing the internet or typing into google, tap alt, <book mark name> enter and you get the bookmark up in a new tab.

Quick and useful, much better than looking through loads of menu items.
    I can't wait till they implement the non-menu options as well, such as next tab, previous tab, close tab, switch to tab etc. or dialogue options like using the open media/play button on a dialogue thru the HUD.

Basically I want to be able to operate the UI without using the mouse at all.

Beans

HUD has great potential. But has a learning curve. Thus most everyone doesnt know to full navigate HUD and other parts of Unity to their top potential.
    Really think we need some video tutorials posted here in the forums to for everyone to be able to watch and get the most out of Unity. I have a awful redneckish voice or I would do it for the heck of it.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Doesn't everyone know you're supposed to hate it? It's not cool to like anything ubuntu changes. To be a hater, is to truly live. Because if you say you hate something enough times, it will surely change. Right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast