Thread: Need to edit Linux files from Windows 7

Beans

Need to edit Linux files from Windows 7

I was playing around with my Ubuntu partition on my laptop (using it for learning purposes) and I accidentally renamed my bin folder. Now I can't get Ubuntu to boot, but if I could just rename it from Windows, I'm pretty sure it would all be okay again. Is there any way to edit files and directories from Windows? I got DiskInternals Linux Reader but it's "safe" and won't let me edit files.

Beans

Re: Need to edit Linux files from Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by CyrusHeick View Post
    I was playing around with my Ubuntu partition on my laptop (using it for learning purposes) and I accidentally renamed my bin folder. Now I can't get Ubuntu to boot, but if I could just rename it from Windows, I'm pretty sure it would all be okay again. Is there any way to edit files and directories from Windows? I got DiskInternals Linux Reader but it's "safe" and won't let me edit files.

http://www.ext2fsd.com/?page_id=2

support ext 2/3/4

i never tested it so this is just is suggestion
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just boot an Ubuntu live cd, and do it from there. You can read ext4 from Windows, but you can't write to ext4 from Windows.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Use the parted magic live cd it runs as root either burn to disc or put on a stick
    The Dyslexic Moron. user 448495 running Arch Linux 64bt
    AMD 6000x2 64bit, Asus motherboard, 8Gb Ram,Nvidia 8500 1gb unboard ram graphics card, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, Sata 250 gb+Sata 500gb + 2 x 500 usb Hardrives,

Beans

I am not very sure how to fix this ..but i think you can access files across the os using virtual machine applications,,,

Beans

If you can get a root shell up by adding the kernel option "init=/path/to/where/bin/used/to/be/sh", you should be able to put /bin back from the command line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jim_24601 View Post
    If you can get a root shell up by adding the kernel option "init=/path/to/where/bin/used/to/be/sh", you should be able to put /bin back from the command line.
    Yes, that may work. Jim's explanation wasn't easy to follow so you're probably still a bit lost. So, if you renamed 'bin' to 'xyz', you'd bring up GRUB and edit the grub line to include the argument:

Code:
    init=/xyz/sh
    Then at the command line, run these commands:

Code:
    mv /xyz /bin
    reboot
    I've actually never had to do anything with GRUB 2; so I can't advise on how to get to the part where you edit the kernel options. Sorry.

Alternatively, you can edit it in a root file browser from the Ubuntu live CD. I assume you know how to get to a root file browser as you probably used one to do the renaming in the first place
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Thanks guys, I used the live cd to access my file system, and am happy to report that my OS is running like I never did anything completely boneheaded to it in the first place.