Thread: Cant get BBC iplayer working no matter what I try

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cant get BBC iplayer working no matter what I try

HI Folks,
    Ive just upgraded to Oneirc Ocelot, much hoping this would resolve the trouble Ive been having with streaming video and audio - it hasnt.
    I can watch many youtube videos (and similar) but the BBC I-player (and others utilising what I think is SWF) seems permanently unavailable to me.
    anyone have any ideas?
    Cheers
    WR

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Cant get BBC iplayer working no matter what I try

Strange! Apart from bandwidth problems I have had no trouble watching iplayer with Ubuntu for a few years now. I mostly use Firefox but sometimes Chromium. I also have Opera and Midori installed for the rare web-sites that don't play nicely.#

Have you tried booting from a Live CD and going to the iplayer site?
    I was wondering if you had accidently blocked the iplayer with a Firefox add-on like No-Script or in a config file somewhere. If you boot from CD then that possibility will be eliminated

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    Strange! Apart from bandwidth problems I have had no trouble watching iplayer with Ubuntu for a few years now. I mostly use Firefox but sometimes Chromium. I also have Opera and Midori installed for the rare web-sites that don't play nicely.#

Have you tried booting from a Live CD and going to the iplayer site?
    I was wondering if you had accidently blocked the iplayer with a Firefox add-on like No-Script or in a config file somewhere. If you boot from CD then that possibility will be eliminated
    The problem I had was that no matter which browser Opera, Chrome, Firefox, SeaMonkey or how many times I tried to install the air iPlayer package, it never seemed to down load.

Eventually I installed the iPlayer on my Win7 machine and was given the option to save the file to the hard disk. Which I did.

One quick USB across to my Ubuntu machine (10.04 - actually Mint 9) and the bbc_iplayer_desktop_v3214.air installed without a problem.

BBC - just give the linux people the option to Save As ... it worked quite well in the past.

Kevin Pugh

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

BBC iplayer works fine here.
    Make sure you have the latest flash installed. Flashaid is a wonderful add-on, and as mentioned make sure no add-on is blocking you.
    Also for downloading programs get-iplayer is as good as anything and is in the repos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

advice would be to use get-iplayer

since there is no speed available in the UK that will handle a one hour program with no checking or stuttering [ i have Virgin 50M and still]

if you use get-iplayer all that becomes irrelevant and the picture and sound are way better

easy to use and then if you wish delete programs afterwards
    Last edited by shantiq; May 13th, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt