View Poll Results: Which linux distro for a new user on slightly old hardware?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ubuntu 10.04

7 11.11%
  • Ubuntu 12.04

34 53.97%
  • Linux Mint 12

7 11.11%
  • Fedora 16

1 1.59%
  • Other

14 22.22%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu choice for new user?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu choice for new user?

A non-computer-minded friend of mine has asked me to sort out her laptop. I think it's about 2 years old and consumer-grade, but I don't have it yet to experiment. She's only ever used Windows XP, and was thinking of getting a new laptop because it had become slow and wifi stopped working. I've offered to see if I can get it working with linux.

The question is - which distribution? I use 10.04 at home, but also run 12.04 and fedora 16 on other machines. I was originally thinking of going for 12.04 - it's good, and I think she'd appreciate the bling. The problem is, it seems to actually be a bit on the slow side on older hardware, and it's crashed a few times already. I don't want to give someone a bad first impression of linux, so maybe 10.04* is the way to go?

Thoughts appreciated.

*I would add stable repositories for firefox, chrome, rhythmbox and libreoffice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu choice for new user?

Xubuntu is light and would be familiar enough to a windows user if you tweaked it a bit.

Don't go with 10.04. Stable, yes. But a year left in it's life.

12.04 is supported for 5 years.

F16 is ponderous. But I like it.
    My Blog
    Ubuntu Help Pages I'm constructing: AMDGPU and AMDGPU-PRO
    Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Wait until 12.04.1 then slap it on. Configure it to install security updates automatically and not to nag about other updates too much. Should be good to go for the next five years with minimal support required from you.

Use Unity 2D if the machine doesn't have enough smash to run the 3D smoothly.

Beans

Xubuntu and LXDE based distros are better for the old hardware. I see that ubuntu 12.04 is not something that will go well with old hardware even with unity 2d.

Beans

I'd install Kubuntu on it. It's easy to use and will likely be more familiar to her what with having a menu and all.

Beans

Wink Re: Ubuntu choice for new user?

I would always opt for an LTS rather than the six monthly cycle variety, it gives the user to become comfortable with Ubuntu and not to be swayed by the "I must install this as soon as it is released" way of thinking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by overcast View Post
    Xubuntu and LXDE based distros are better for the old hardware. I see that ubuntu 12.04 is not something that will go well with old hardware even with unity 2d.
    2 years is not "old hardware". Every PC in my house is 2 years old or more and they all run Unity fine.

Beans

My notebook is about two and half years old (business grade though) and I don't know anyone who has a faster windows machine than mine in terms of everyday snappiness (not talking about max CPU and GPU performance like in games) and I run Ubuntu 12.04. So unless your friend bought the crappiest netbook available two years ago, my guess is you should be fine with Ubuntu 12.04.

If you find that Ubuntu 12.04 is too slow, then you can still get a light weight desktop environment like xfce or lxde in the software center and experiment what is the best option.
    Last edited by xedi; May 9th, 2012 at 11:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Something else about F16 that might steer you away in the case of a new user:

They don't like non-FOSS. You can play hell trying to get closed source drivers to work.
    My Blog
    Ubuntu Help Pages I'm constructing: AMDGPU and AMDGPU-PRO
    Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No votes at all for 10.04?!

I say it might be around 2 years old - actually, I'm not completely sure. Personally I use a 1.3ghz centrino T40 which is 8.5 yrs old! Haven't even bothered trying unity on it.

When I get the laptop I'll report back, see how well it fares with 12.04...

D

PS oh yes - I forgot that about Fedora - maybe not such a good idea...
    Last edited by Duncan J Murray; May 10th, 2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: PS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast