Thread: Web Server

Beans

Lightbulb Web Server

Hello I am running the latest version of Lubuntu and I am wondering is there anyway possible that I could setup a web hosting server that my web clients could host their websites on it along with a control panel etc similar to cpanel.

Beans

Re: Web Server

Anyone?

Beans

Hello,

There are a lot of aspects to web hosting that you may not have considered. You may want to look into using Ubuntu Server LTS, as Lubuntu is generally used for desktops.

Can you describe what you're thinking about offering? Why not use existing services out there?

-will

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A LAMP server is probably the easiest and most convenient to set up...there are plenty of tutorials out there on how to do it. Here are a couple that I found on Google (I haven't read them through thoroughly):
    http://gregrickaby.com/2011/10/how-t...on-ubuntu.html
    http://www.lamphowto.com/

Please be advised that if you intend to set up a "real" web hosting server with real clients who pay real money, there are many questions regarding for instance, backup and security that must be accounted for. If you do not know how to set up a server on your own, then I definitely do not recommend that you try to set up a web hosting service!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Virtual Hosts

All you need to set up web hosting is to add a web server like Apache2 or nginx. If you're going to serve several sites off of the same machine, which is a good idea, then you'll want to set up a separate Virtual Hosts.

Each Virtual Host will need its own Document Root. And you'll probably need to set up group level permissions for you users to be able to edit their own web server, but not others.