Thread: Compiz problem

Beans

Compiz problem

Totally bad initial experience. Planned to do a clean install on a test system running 10.04. Booted amd64 CDROM and display is synced but unreadable streaky blocks in the windows & buttons -- cant read anything

Blindly clicked where the "Try" button should be, and eventually a desktop came up but it froze after some cutesy "effects" started when I moused over a distortedly drawn icon on the desktop.

I've been using LTS releases since 6.06 and each has initially had more problems than the one before it for me.

Edit:
    Hitting tab during startup to get the menu, the CDROM passed the "integrity check". Seems there is no text mode install option, I'll see if nomodeset helps before I download Mint
    Last edited by wkulecz; May 9th, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Your commitment to Freedom is measured by your tolerence for others doing things you disapprove.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Worst Ubuntu experience yet!

You sure you don't have a GPU problem?
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -- Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    S
    adly, technology is dominated by those who manage what they do not understand.
    Zacks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Video driver issues?

Kind of the reason I'm holding back a little bit is to give the rest of the world a shot at catching up to Ubuntu 12.04 with drivers and such. I would sure hate to upgrade and find out the drivers for my nVidia card are not going to work properly or maybe my printer.

I'll eventually job on the upgrade but for the time being I'm holding back for a bit...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not the drivers, but the graphics card itself. Do you have another one you can replace with your current one?
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -- Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    S
    adly, technology is dominated by those who manage what they do not understand.
    Zacks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wkulecz View Post
    Totally bad initial experience. Planned to do a clean install on a test system running 10.04. Booted amd64 CDROM and display is synced but unreadable streaky blocks in the windows & buttons -- cant read anything

Blindly clicked where the "Try" button should be, and eventually a desktop came up but it froze after some cutesy "effects" started when I moused over a distortedly drawn icon on the desktop.

I've been using LTS releases since 6.06 and each has initially had more problems than the one before it for me.

Edit:
    Hitting tab during startup to get the menu, the CDROM passed the "integrity check". Seems there is no text mode install option, I'll see if nomodeset helps before I download Mint
    use the alternative install disk there is a problem for some with the live CD.
    The Dyslexic Moron. user 448495 running Arch Linux 64bt
    AMD 6000x2 64bit, Asus motherboard, 8Gb Ram,Nvidia 8500 1gb unboard ram graphics card, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, Sata 250 gb+Sata 500gb + 2 x 500 usb Hardrives,

Beans

The nomodeset boot option got me dialog boxes I could read. I checked "download updates while installing" and "install third party software" and alls well that ends well.

It automatically installed the binary Nvidia driver (current version), my question is what is there to know about the (current version-updates) driver offered when I went to install the binary driver?

YouTube works out of the box, very nice! Now to install all my development tools and libraries.

I don't like Unity so I may install something else, but Unity should be fine for the folks who use these "appliance" computers (who don't know or care that its Linux underneath) assuming I can add my programs to the dock.

Edit:
    Perhaps the "nomodeset" option should be a bit more prominent and labeled as something to suggest trying it if the initial boot up display is not usable.
    Last edited by wkulecz; May 9th, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
    Your commitment to Freedom is measured by your tolerence for others doing things you disapprove.

Beans

Spoke too soon, compiz crashed while using the Dash to try and find synaptic. I don't need any cutesy crap "effects" so I'll see if I can figure how to just keep it always off.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Compiz problem

Please use a more informative thread title.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by wkulecz View Post
    Spoke too soon, compiz crashed while using the Dash to try and find synaptic. I don't need any cutesy crap "effects" so I'll see if I can figure how to just keep it always off.
    You could always use 'gnome classic', xfce-desktop or something along those lines. I've had good luck installing cinnamon from the ppa but others have reported problems. If you do try cinnamon, do not include muffin.

Beans

Re: Compiz problem

Seems one of the 103 updates (installed with apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade seems to have fixed it, hasn't crashed since, but I'm mostly just been using synaptic to install the libraries and tools I need.