Closed.

Another circular thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: [HELP] Move Unity Launcher To The Bottom Of The Desktop ~ precise

Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    I hate that attitude. The developers are lame, and forgot to add functionality to thier project. Customization is the heart of linux, not obeying the lame effects of paid devs/
    +1. It is almost as annoying as end users who have not contributed code.

That is what I like about open source, if I wish to add functionality, I can just code it myself.

If you would post a link to git hub, I would love to review your patch and take your customizations for a spin.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Surprisingly, there are two obvious things that haven't been said in all these postings:

I don't know if "most" people want to move the launcher but certainly many, many people do. It's for the obvious reason that it's where the icons for open programs have lived for years on most OS's (I think). So we're used to looking down there to click on the Firefox icon, or whatever to gain focus. I'm new to Unity and suspect I'll like it better on the left once I get used to it, but for now I keep scanning the bottom looking for something to click on.

There is a compelling reason for putting it on the bottom though. Especially if you have a wide screen monitor, there is more room for icons on the bottom than on the side. So if you're a power user with bunches of stuff open you can get to it without scrolling on the bar.
    Mark is trying to address the biggest weakness, (and the biggest strength in my opinion), with the Linux OS: too much flexibility! My wife looks at four different Linux computers & see's different UI's & it seems complicated.

I think they want to get people to use it long enough on the left side to give it a real chance instead of immediately moving it to the bottom the way I wanted to do. I think I'll try it on the side long enough for it to seem normal & then decide if I still want to move it.
    People who spend their time telling others what can't be done only annoy those of us out there doing it.

Beans

Talking Re: [HELP] Move Unity Launcher To The Bottom Of The Desktop ~ precise

i don't have a true solution but sort of a cheat?

instead on using the launcher, i just downloaded a dock and under system settings> appearances> behavior
    i turned the sensitivity to low so it wouldn't pop up without effort. and if you do set it too low, you can always right click and click on change background to get to the settings again if something goes wrong.

sorry its not a true solution. if i find one, ill post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by charliemcdowell View Post
    i don't have a true solution but sort of a cheat?

instead on using the launcher, i just downloaded a dock and under system settings> appearances> behavior
    i turned the sensitivity to low so it wouldn't pop up without effort. and if you do set it too low, you can always right click and click on change background to get to the settings again if something goes wrong.

sorry its not a true solution. if i find one, ill post.

A better solution might be to use Unity 2d and set the unity-2d-spread as an unexecutable. Log out and log back in. Now you have the top panel...and no launcher/dash/hud. But you still want the compiz effects, you say? Just do a compiz --replace (might need to set that to autostart in 2d).
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Cairo Dock session with unity panel (the top bar) makes a great alternate if one doesn't care for the fact that unity dock bar is on the left...

This way...you get a lovely dock (that normally auto-hides) and right on the bottom of your screen

It also works very well and in many ways, works more like a panel then unity does...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm perfectly happy with the launcher on the left. I'm not 100% used to it but I'm sure I'll adapt. The one thing I don't like about this whole issue is the fact that there is no choice and some developer somewhere has made the decision for me. It sounds very, dare I say it, Apple! "Do it our way or go away" kind of mentality. It just seems a little odd for the ubuntu community.
    apt-get moo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Pretty sure this thread has run it's course.

If you don't like unity or the idea behind it, use a different DE.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456