Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 58

Thread: [HELP] Move Unity Launcher To The Bottom Of The Desktop ~ precise

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Beans
    1,319
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: [HELP] Move Unity Launcher To The Bottom Of The Desktop ~ precise

    The left-hand edge is certainly more readily accessible. The objections come from a visual design standpoint (or familiarity with bottom-edge taskbars and docks) or from the auto-hide behavior (since frequently-used controls in windows are far more likely to be on the left edge than the bottom of the window, for the same reason the Launcher is.)

    Gnome Shell doesn't exactly solve the problem, either. (Sure, the bar is on the left side, but it can't be invoked by moving the cursor there, so any quick-access advantage in the placement is lost in comparison to just having it on the bottom.) Of course, Shell is a different world, since the bar isn't the primary method of window switching, anyway.

    It just becomes a question of which disadvantages irritate you more. I'm comfortable with Shell's arrangement, I think that the left-hand bar is logical and mirrors the left-hand panel used for navigation in file managers and web sites, and I've used docks on the left since before 11.04. But I think the left-hand dock is meant to be a part of Unity's visual identity, too.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    17,061
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: [HELP] Move Unity Launcher To The Bottom Of The Desktop ~ precise

    I prefer vertical space on widescreen monitors/screens. YMMV.

    That is the global your. Not intended at any individual.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North-Central Idaho
    Beans
    155
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: [HELP] Move Unity Launcher To The Bottom Of The Desktop ~ precise

    I don't like unity or its bar on the left! I find the OS very clumsy, having to go through 2 to 3 steps to get changes in a screen-saver adjustment for instanced, is in my mind, nonsense. I change my screen saver time setting when I am not using the system to preserve energy. Energy usage is very important to me, being a conservation minded person. And why are the screen-saver options behind a icon and name called "brightness and lock" is totally illogical in my mind. I find reaching many of the main desktop functions, those I use to be very clumsy, and very limiting as to options. The fact that the launcher is on the left, to me, "only" defeats the flexibility that ubuntu had in the past seemed to lean toward so well, a computing for humans. Now it is seemingly leaning toward, jump into this box or go elsewhere. I long for the functionality and flexibility of 10.04 again!
    And so there is more than one among those termed as "most people."

    Now on to my issue in a separate thread, Arg!
    Last edited by de Bacon; June 8th, 2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spell check
    Intel i5 3.30 GHz 32 G memory, UbuntuStudio 16.04.2

    Playing and recording, my music, my way. http://thomasepeterson.com

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    1,419

    Re: [HELP] Move Unity Launcher To The Bottom Of The Desktop ~ precise

    Quote Originally Posted by de Bacon View Post
    I don't like unity or its bar on the left! I find the OS very clumsy, having to go through 2 to 3 steps to get changes in a screen-saver adjustment for instanced, is in my mind, nonsense. I change my screen saver time setting when I am not using the system to preserve energy. Energy usage is very important to me, being a conservation minded person. And why are the screen-saver options behind a icon and name called "brightness and lock" is totally illogical in my mind. I find reaching many of the main desktop functions, those I use to be very clumsy, and very limiting as to options. The fact that the launcher is on the left, to me, "only" defeats the flexibility that ubuntu had in the past seemed to lean toward so well, a computing for humans. Now it is seemingly leaning toward, jump into this box or go elsewhere. I long for the functionality and flexibility of 10.04 again!
    And so there is more than one among those termed as "most people."

    Now on to my issue in a separate thread, Arg!
    "More than one" != "Most".

    If your goal is conserving power, why not just suspend your computer? There's an entry for it under the cog at the right-most top corner of the screen.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Left Coast of the USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: [HELP] Move Unity Launcher To The Bottom Of The Desktop ~ precise

    By what means has it been established that most people hate it on the left side?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: [HELP] Move Unity Launcher To The Bottom Of The Desktop ~ precise

    Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    By what means has it been established that most people hate it on the left side?
    By the " I " means
    This account is not active.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pizza Hut
    Beans
    1,209
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: [HELP] Move Unity Launcher To The Bottom Of The Desktop ~ precise

    I never understood all the negative hype around the bar on the left side. When I used panels, I purposely put a launcher on the left. I found it highly intuitive. Also, I almost never activated it on accident, either. I think that the "most people hate launchers on the left" mentality is way over blown. I know this is just kind of reiterating what others have said, but just my two cents.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    18

    Re: [HELP] Move Unity Launcher To The Bottom Of The Desktop ~ precise

    Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    Why do people write "Most people" when they mean "I"?
    Dude...
    Search on Google. Youll know there are billion people out there asking for dock in bottom.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    277

    Re: [HELP] Move Unity Launcher To The Bottom Of The Desktop ~ precise

    Just use KDE or XFCE.
    Both are far more customizable then unity will ever hope to be

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere...
    Beans
    1,557
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: [HELP] Move Unity Launcher To The Bottom Of The Desktop ~ precise

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaskaran498 View Post
    Dude...
    Search on Google. Youll know there are billion people out there asking for dock in bottom.
    People who want it on the left usually does not say that they want it on the left. It'll be redundant

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •