Thread: Toshiba Satellite L455D Lid Problem

Beans

Question Toshiba Satellite L455D Lid Problem

I’ve had a Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976 laptop for about 2 years. The other day when I went about to check daily messages, the lid practically came off of it! I had left the laptop on the previous night while waiting for some things to download because it takes forever for this laptop to do anything. I’ve done it before without incident, so I didn’t expect anything. It opened perfectly fine (though the bottom, keyboard, and trackpad felt hot enough to burn me), but when I closed it there was a cracking type sound and the lid closed crooked. A bit freaked out by the random break, I turned it around to look at the back. There was a metal piece sticking out like an inch from the back and a small piece of broken metal fell out. I can’t even open it now. I assume that some part on the inside of the laptop had melted and caused it. Has anyone else had a problem like this or know what to do to get it resolved?

Beans

Re: Toshiba Satellite L455D Lid Problem

Your problem is likely bigger than you think. Your fan is likely not working and damage might be low to high. Parts are likely cheap but if you can't take it a part yourself and find the problem, likely the cost will be high. Laptops now a days are very cheap if the cost of repair is too high.

Beans

I'm pretty sure it's a big problem from the way it looks... Attached some pictures. I have a friend that knows how to take apart/put together computers. If we do manage to take it apart and find what's wrong, what should I do then? I don't really think it'd be an easy repair no matter what, plastic cracked and metal broken and all. Should I try contacting the company? I've done some research on Toshiba and found that they've had lots of incidents with overheating and melting (which I think was a cause of the problem). Do you think they'd be willing to do something to compensate?

I've looked around for new laptops, but there really isn't much that I'd be able to afford unless I want to get another cheap piece of junk...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Used Toshiba Intel based for many years and would recommend to all my friends. The next would be the Panasonic Tough Book.