Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

I have been working with Compiz and I decided to enable the Desktop Cube. I have used the Desktop Cube on previous versions of Ubuntu (pre-Unity) and have never since tried it again because of issues with my new laptop's Nvidia 540M graphcis card. However since I have 3D acceleration working with my Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics in 12.04, I decided to try it again.

First off, I have an issue when I rotate the cube (switching from workspace to workspace, using ctrl+(Left or Right) and when I use the cube "expose"). When I switch it shows the correct workspace, however for a split second after switching, it will flash the previous workspace that I was on.

Secondly, I have chosen to make a 3x3 workspace arrangement so due to the fact that the cube feature only deals with the workspaces in that row, I have decided to make a cylindrical "cube". Although with this I have noticed the 3D window feature doesn't work properly. Often times I notice a window behaving like the 3D representation of the cube is actually a cube and not a cylinder. I will post a picture to better describe what I am experiencing here.

Thank you for any help that can be offered!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED] (if it's ever fixed), it makes helping others easier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

bump?
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED] (if it's ever fixed), it makes helping others easier.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The cube flashing problem is an old bug and has been discussed elsewhere in detail. Sadly there is no fix aside from downgrading to the Compiz packages found in Natty.
    http://sodnpoo.com/posts.xml/oneiric..._downgrade.xml

Personally I just use the desktop wall instead. Less "flashy" in every sense of the word.

Cheers!
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thank you for that information! I may just switch back to the Desktop Wall to avoid this bug and hope that it is fixed in the future. Desktop Cube wasn't a "must have" feature for me anyways.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I get the same problems with a 4-side cube & cylinder.

The cube and optional cylinder do make Linux more attractive to potential users.

Additionally, I have found that ex-Windows users find multiple workspaces confusing and don't like them; but when I add the cube, they suddenly understand ("Ah-ha!") and can make use of the workspaces.

So, although this is hardly a "must-have" feature, perhaps it is a "should-have" feature.

Where should this be reported as a bug -- to Compiz or Unity developers?
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

Many users of cube/rotate don't actually ever use the 'cube', more so to use rotate which needs something to rotate.
    Personally don't like wall because of use of 'Desktop based viewport switching', (scroll on Desktop), where wall is not as good as rotate.

Anyway the flashing issue has been fixed but not yet released, it also caused flashing in Expo (workspace switcher

The 3d windows plugin is nowhere near a supported plugin in compiz, so if using what you get is what you get

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    The 3d windows plugin is nowhere near a supported plugin in compiz, so if using what you get is what you get
    Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Anyway the flashing issue has been fixed but not yet released, it also caused flashing in Expo (workspace switcher
    Thanks for the info. Any word on when it will be released?

I tried the downgrade suggestion above, but when updating sources I get an error that not all repositories could be updated, and the apt-get install fails.

Obviously, this is never a "must have" - and with utmost respect to all, this is irrelevant. The point is, it worked perfectly in previous versions, it doesn't know.

In my case:

• when logging in to Precise, I have a 2x2 workspace "switcher" in the bottom panel (using Gnome "classic"), showing 4 workspaces, but a right-click on that brings up the preferences screen showing that I only have one workspace in one row.

• Increasing the number of workspaces to 4, still in 1 row, the "switcher" on the bottom panel shows the correct count. Trying to rotate to another workspace just flashes the screen, shows me an empty workspace, but the switcher still highlights the 1st workspace.
    • Rotating again in the same direction should bring me to workspace #3, but it simply flashes again and returns to workspace #1.
    • Actually clicking on any workspace in the switcher other than #1, gives a screen with no open windows or apps, no panels, no way to get back. Only Ctrl+Alt+Delete, brings me back to the 1st workspace (with a shutdown/restart confirmation screen which I can cancel).

Again, we can all live without it. The point is, it was working perfectly before (I was on Lucid and upgraded from DVD directly to Precise, on the reasonable assumption that you should be able to upgrade from one LTS to the next LTS without issues).

Oh, and I don't know if this is related or not, but ctrl+tab no longer switches between open applications.

Any updates on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans

The fix is in compiz-0.9.8 which will be in 12.10.
    As far as 12.04 - it's somewhat likely to be added though there could be concerns that delay for a while

bug report here
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/862430

There is currently a pre-proposed ppa with the 'semi-fixed' compiz, if one is *using the nvidia drivers - YOU DON'T WANT TO USE the ppa*, unless you can live without window decorations
    Doesn't affect the nouveau drivers

The nvidia issue has been fixed but isn't in the pre ppa - ppa link -

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...30/comments/66

Note that there is also a small places plugin snafu in that ppa version, also fixed but not in ppa

If you wanted to build compiz then all the current issues in general & affecting nvidia can be patched.
    Otherwise maybe this month or so.

nvidia issue bug in the compiz fix
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz/+bug/1002602

places plugin bug from compiz fix
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz/+bug/1002606
    Last edited by mc4man; June 4th, 2012 at 07:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by r_avital View Post
    ctrl+tab no longer switches between open applications.
    It never did. Ctrl-Tab switches between tabs, e.g. in Firefox. Alt-Tab switches between open applications. Alt-` switches between multiple open windows in a single application, e.g. Thunderbird's main window and compose window.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast